Canes to face No. 10 Virginia Tech

After one of the worst home losses in Miami football history against Virginia last week, the Hurricanes (5-5) will travel to a hostile environment in Blacksburg, Va. to face another Atlantic Coast Conference foe in No. 10 Virginia Tech (8-2).

The Canes have now dropped two straight games; both were home games for Miami.

The Hurricanes are 2-4 in the ACC and have won only one road game this season, which was against archrival Florida State.

Miami needs a sixth win this season to be bowl eligible.

Miami holds a 16-8 record advantage over Virginia Tech, but the Canes have won only seven of the last 15 games between the two teams.

“They’re a good football team,” Coach Randy Shannon said. “Coach [Frank] Beamer does a good job getting those guys to play special teams, play sound offense, and not turn the ball over. We expect to go out there and play hard and execute.”

Last year, Virginia Tech came into the Orange Bowl and stole a victory in the final two minutes of the game, winning 17-10. The Canes couldn’t overcome the two interceptions quarterback Kyle Wright threw late in the game on back-to-back possessions, one leading to the game-winning touchdown.

However, the last time the Hurricanes were in Blacksburg, Va., they pummeled the then-undefeated and No. 3 Hokies, 27-7. The Canes’ defense forced six turnovers and sacked quarterback Marcus Vick five times.

Miami completely eliminated Virginia Tech’s national championship hopes and will look to cripple their No. 10 ranking in the BCS standings this year.

“We are going to go out there and put all the other games behind us,” safety Kenny Phillips said. “It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish. We are going to go out there and play hard.”

Last week, the Cavaliers shut out the Hurricanes in their final game at the Orange Bowl, 48-0. Miami committed five turnovers and didn’t enter the red zone until there were ten minutes left in last week’s game.

“We got away from having fun the last couple of games,” Phillips said. “We were so worried about making mistakes. If we are not having fun, then we won’t be able to fly around and make big plays.”

Miami struggled to contain Virginia’s mobile quarterback Jameel Sewell and will have another elusive quarterback in Virginia Tech’s true freshman Tyrod Taylor.

Taylor has shown he is capable of taking over games when he is called upon, as he is undefeated as a starter. Miami must not allow Taylor to dissect the defense with his ability to run and throw the ball.

The Canes’ rushing attack was held in check to only 95 yards against Virginia. This unit will face another stingy defense this week against the Hokies.

Last week, Virginia Tech bounced back from a one-point deficit to hang 20 fourth-quarter points on Florida State en route to a 40-21 victory. It was the first time the Hokies defeated the Seminoles in their last 15 tries.

“We got to go there and play fundamental football,” defensive lineman Vegas Franklin said. “If we do that then there is a good chance we could win the game.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...