Brew goes organic

Green beer is no longer just for St. Patrick’s Day. As the desire for organic food continues to grow in the U.S., the beer industry is also looking to break into the market. While sales of organic beer are still only a small fraction of the overall beer industry, they have grown from $9 million in 2003 to $19 million in 2005.

According to the Organic Trade Association, the 40 percent sales increase of organic beer ties with organic coffee as the fastest-growing organic beverage. Even the nation’s largest beer company, Anheuser- Busch, has starting producing two types of organic beer: Wild Hop lager and Stone Mill pale ale.

Organic beer is made with organically grown hops, malts, barleys and natural yeast. The guidelines for organic beer are the same as for all organic foods: The ingredients must be grown without toxic pesticides or synthetic fertilizers.

Are there any advantages to drinking organic beer? Well, not so much, but the absence of toxic pesticides and fertilizers do make organic beer more body-friendly. Also, some brewers believe that organic ingredients create better beers because organic malts and hops have no chemicals to interfere with the fermentation process.

GIVE IT A SIP:

Idealbite.com recommends Wolavers Organic Beer or Butte Creek Organic Beer.

Kendall Sale may be contacted at k.sale@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...