The day the Orange Bowl turned Purple

For one day, one performance, the Orange Bowl retired its trademark color and was renamed the “Purple Bowl” in honor of hosting Prince’s finale of his 1985 Purple Rain tour.

Prior to the construction of indoor super arenas which provide guests with the comforts of centralized air conditioning and protection from the rain, the Orange Bowl was the premier South Florida location for entertainers to book their tour at.

Other musical legends have walked the tunnels of the historic stadium include The Rolling Stones who performed their 1997 Bridges to Babylon tour at the Orange Bowl as well as Michael Jackson, Madonna, the Eagles, Bruce Springsteen and Metallica.

University of Miami alumni and multiple Grammy winner, Jon Secada, also performed at the Orange Bowl singing the National Anthem as well as the alma mater at the stadium’s final game last Saturday.

From football royalty to musical royalty, the Orange Bowl has been Miami’s castle on Biscayne’s wondrous shores.

Bari Lieberman is the EDGE Editor and may be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...