Reduced to a pulp

“In the Air Tonight,” a Phil Collins favorite, returned to the Orange Bowl Saturday night, but the classic Hurricane football team did not.

An abysmal game. An immensely disappointing farewell.

There was no memorable tribute. There was no honorable athletic performance.

Thousands of students came psyched for the Canes’ final Orange Bowl game, hoping to bid the old structure farewell and perhaps witness an upset over Virginia.

Failure on both counts.

Success, it seems, came only before the game began.

Spirit overflowing from the Metrorail. Celebration in tailgating lots. Enthusiasm pulsing through the stands.

Hundreds of seniors clad in black, as if attending a funeral, strolled around the famed field prior to kickoff. They screamed and cheered and jumped and shouted.

For what?

The football team couldn’t score. The halftime show was a nice tribute to the players, but was altogether forgettable.

Students booed President Shalala as she was praised over the loudspeaker. What a great farewell.

The cognitive dissonance permeated like the haze from the fireworks.

Playing “We Are the Champions” at halftime? Announcing, “Tonight’s win over Virginia,” in the postgame tribute?

Ah, yes. The postgame. It was rousing for a while, but the monotonous laser show grew stale after a few songs.

Thank (insert chosen deity here) they played “In the Air Tonight.”

But could we feel it? Not for long after the game commenced.

Randy Shannon should have given the former players jerseys as they ascended the center stage. Maybe we would have scored.

After the game, students’ faces looked longer than the field did for Kyle Wright.

They were dejected, destroyed, defeated. Their beloved Hurricanes were massacred by a cadre of Cavaliers.

Slashed and burned. Up in smoke. Conquered.

It wasn’t a field worth rushing Saturday night.

At least students got their shirts and their posters. Props to Category 5 for their work. They should be commended. They should have planned the halftime and postgame.

Too late.

Too late for the gala events. Too late for the Canes. Too late for the Orange Bowl.

The orange was puréed, but the juice was not sweet.

The end was sour.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...