Orange Bowl to be demolished, may be replaced with baseball stadium

The Orange Bowl will be torn down early next year, the Miami city manager decided last week.

The news came from a spokesman for Pete Hernandez, who said the stadium will be demolished after its final scheduled game, a high school all-star matchup on Jan. 4.

The announcement, first reported by The Miami Herald Thursday, does not indicate a move to the spot by the Florida Marlins, simply a cost-cutting measure now that the stadium will not be used.

The demolition will likely take place in March or April. But before the bulldozers are called in, pieces of the Orange Bowl, including its urinals, will be auctioned. The January or February auctioning of Orange Bowl seats, urinals and other memorabilia will help defray the estimated $5 million to $7 million cost of its demolition.

The Orange Bowl’s final college football game will take place on Dec. 1 when Florida International University plays North Texas.

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...