Orange Bowl to be demolished, may be replaced with baseball stadium

The Orange Bowl will be torn down early next year, the Miami city manager decided last week.

The news came from a spokesman for Pete Hernandez, who said the stadium will be demolished after its final scheduled game, a high school all-star matchup on Jan. 4.

The announcement, first reported by The Miami Herald Thursday, does not indicate a move to the spot by the Florida Marlins, simply a cost-cutting measure now that the stadium will not be used.

The demolition will likely take place in March or April. But before the bulldozers are called in, pieces of the Orange Bowl, including its urinals, will be auctioned. The January or February auctioning of Orange Bowl seats, urinals and other memorabilia will help defray the estimated $5 million to $7 million cost of its demolition.

The Orange Bowl’s final college football game will take place on Dec. 1 when Florida International University plays North Texas.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...