From learning to memory

Before the Orange Bowl, football to me was Ronaldinho and Joga Bonito. But “futbol” and “football” are two completely different things. Coming here from Venezuela, I had to adapt.

I came here with no knowledge and no interest in the great American tradition, until I was introduced to the Canes and their home field.

I had to learn some of the basic rules and plays before I went to my first game, so I did my homework and tagged along with the guys of Walsh 5 without major expectations.

To my surprise, something about the setting, the energy and the rhythm of the game won me over. I felt that the crowd and I stood as one and that the Hurricanes were MY team.

From that moment on, being at “the U” made even more sense to me. I became a Miami Hurricane thanks to football at the Orange Bowl.

Now that it’s time to say goodbye, I feel like a child who is giving up her first bike. I learned everything I know standing amongst the Miami faithful, so it’s hard to give it up – but the memory will live on every time I hear the word “football.”

Football to me is the Miami Hurricanes. Football to me is the Orange Bowl.

– Irene Daboin
International Student
i.daboin@umiami.edu

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...