WHY DENY THE O.B.VIOUS?

See also:
Rushing the Field
Special Events

The motto of our university is magna est veritas: Truth is great. Given the performance of the current school administration with regard to its handling of all things related to the Orange Bowl, this motto is less a tribute to the pursuit of honest inquiry than to our school’s capacity for self-parody. Instead of honest statements of substance, we receive platitudes about plasma screens. Instead of a forthright assessment of what went wrong in the negotiations with the city of Miami, we got a press release that seemed to have been written by Manny Diaz’s campaign staff.

The latest insult to our collective intelligence comes in the form of the Nov. 1 “Letter to the University Community.” Yes, we are certain that some fans are planning to rush the field at the close of the Virginia game, but maybe there’s a reason. This will be the end of a long and illustrious era in the history of the university, the city and all of sports, and these fans have a sense of the importance behind this occasion.

Our favorite part of the letter is the section that points out that rushing the field “is a move that could have serious consequences indeed.” We can only hope that the drone in the legal department who wrote this got his or her degree at some other institution.

The university does have some understandable reasons for not allowing the rushing – students could be injured, FIU still has two games to play and the desire to maintain order – maybe the university is underestimating the ability of student’s to rush the field as a peaceful goodbye, not a violent swarm.

It is indeed true that ACC rules prohibit storming the field. It is also true that the ACC has a sense of history and understands (sadly more than our own administration) that rules are meant to be broken.

We demand that the university acknowledge the true reasons behind its stance on rushing the field: A fear of liability for injuries that may be sustained by those who rush the field, a fear of being “judged” in the national press and a fear of the city of Miami officials. Though we do commend President Donna E. Shalala for saying she wishes that students could rush, one would think that if the president of a university wishes for something to happen, it would.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...