OB to be torn down, GOP forum set, Hardball confirmed

City to tear down Orange Bowl

BY MATTHEW BUNCH
POSTED NOV. 8 AT 6:25 P.M.

The Miami city manager has decided to tear down the Orange Bowl.

The news came from a spokesman of Pete Hernandez, who said the stadium would be torn down after the stadium’s final scheduled game, an High School All-Star matchup on Jan. 4.

The announcement, first reported by The Miami Herald reported Thursday, is not indicative of a move to the spot by the Marlins, simply a cost-cutting measure now that the stadium will not be used.

Pieces of the 70-year-old stadium will be sold after it is torn down.

Check TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

GOP candidate forum planned for December

BY KARYN MESHBANE
POSTED NOV. 8 AT 7:49 P.M.

The University of Miami, along with Univision, has confirmed it will co-host the Republican presidential candidate forum on Dec. 9, said the university’s vice president for government affairs.

Rudy Fernandez said the six confirmed candidates are former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Arizona Sen. John McCain, former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson, Texas Rep. Ron Paul and California Rep. Duncan Hunter.

Parallel to the Sept. 9 Democratic candidate forum, the GOP candidates will focus on issues relevant to the Latino population. Questions will be asked in Spanish with simultaneous English translation for the candidates, whose English-language responses will be translated for Univision viewers.

Of the eight candidates invited, Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado was the only candidate to decline, and Univision is still waiting to hear back from former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

The number of student tickets has yet to be decided, but will be similar to September’s forum. Unlike the previous debate, tickets will be provided through a student lottery run through the Division of Student Affairs.

“It’s part of energizing a very important part of the electorate – the youth vote,” Fernandez said. “The [university]wants to make sure students are informed.”

Hardball with Chris Matthews

BY KARYN MESHBANE
POSTED NOV. 8 AT 7:49 P.M.

The university announced earlier this week that Chris Matthews will be hosting Hardball on campus from the BankUnited Center on Nov. 26 and Nov. 27.

Fernandez, the vice president of government affairs, said that 1,500 tickets will be allotted for students for each airing. These tickets will be distributed via lottery.

Both Hardball episodes will feature prominent, nationally-known guests, he said, noting MSNBC is still working on confirming the guests.

To enter lottery, log onto MyUM, select the “Life at UM” tab, select “Other Functions” and select “Student Lottery for Hardball with Chris Matthews.”

The lottery began Nov. 9 and will be open through Nov. 13 10 a.m.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...