OB to be torn down, GOP forum set, Hardball confirmed

City to tear down Orange Bowl

POSTED NOV. 8 AT 6:25 P.M.

The Miami city manager has decided to tear down the Orange Bowl.

The news came from a spokesman of Pete Hernandez, who said the stadium would be torn down after the stadium’s final scheduled game, an High School All-Star matchup on Jan. 4.

The announcement, first reported by The Miami Herald reported Thursday, is not indicative of a move to the spot by the Marlins, simply a cost-cutting measure now that the stadium will not be used.

Pieces of the 70-year-old stadium will be sold after it is torn down.

Check for updates.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at

GOP candidate forum planned for December

POSTED NOV. 8 AT 7:49 P.M.

The University of Miami, along with Univision, has confirmed it will co-host the Republican presidential candidate forum on Dec. 9, said the university’s vice president for government affairs.

Rudy Fernandez said the six confirmed candidates are former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Arizona Sen. John McCain, former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson, Texas Rep. Ron Paul and California Rep. Duncan Hunter.

Parallel to the Sept. 9 Democratic candidate forum, the GOP candidates will focus on issues relevant to the Latino population. Questions will be asked in Spanish with simultaneous English translation for the candidates, whose English-language responses will be translated for Univision viewers.

Of the eight candidates invited, Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado was the only candidate to decline, and Univision is still waiting to hear back from former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

The number of student tickets has yet to be decided, but will be similar to September’s forum. Unlike the previous debate, tickets will be provided through a student lottery run through the Division of Student Affairs.

“It’s part of energizing a very important part of the electorate – the youth vote,” Fernandez said. “The [university]wants to make sure students are informed.”

Hardball with Chris Matthews

POSTED NOV. 8 AT 7:49 P.M.

The university announced earlier this week that Chris Matthews will be hosting Hardball on campus from the BankUnited Center on Nov. 26 and Nov. 27.

Fernandez, the vice president of government affairs, said that 1,500 tickets will be allotted for students for each airing. These tickets will be distributed via lottery.

Both Hardball episodes will feature prominent, nationally-known guests, he said, noting MSNBC is still working on confirming the guests.

To enter lottery, log onto MyUM, select the “Life at UM” tab, select “Other Functions” and select “Student Lottery for Hardball with Chris Matthews.”

The lottery began Nov. 9 and will be open through Nov. 13 10 a.m.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...