REPORT CARD: MIAMI V. NC STATE

Quarterbacks: F-

There’s nothing else to say about Kirby Freeman but the numbers: 1-for-14, 84 yards, and three interceptions. That’s not a Division-I-football type of performance. Maybe he was having a bad day, but even his sole completion was horribly underthrown, forcing Darnell Jenkins to play centerfield to make the grab and force his way into the end zone. It’s hard to believe there was a discussion about the quarterback situation that involved Freeman just two months ago. The worst quarterbacking at “Quarterback U” that I can remember.

Running Backs: B+

The backs did a great job, combining for over 300 yards as a squad, led by Javarris James with 103. However, it seemed they were all missing that one big move to force their way into the end zone. Even Derron Thomas’ 54-yard run could have been more if he would have gone above and beyond. Still, by far the bright spot of the day.

Receivers/tight ends: C-

It’s a shame Darnell Jenkins can’t get his own category, because his effort was unquestionably strong, even lining up underneath center for two snaps. Otherwise, the rest of the receivers were largely useless, accounting for only drops and penalties.

OffensiVe Line: C+

It’s hard to give a bad grade to an O-line when there’s over 300 yards of rushing involved, but most of the big runs were caused by running-back ingenuity. Freeman often faced pressure, causing more than a few incompletions and bad decisions.

Defensive Line: B-

They held the run to only 21 yards, but never sacked quarterback Daniel Evans once. This unit sometimes becomes invisible for points in time. If Miami wants to control games, that’s not tolerable.

Linebackers: C-

Evans picked the middle of the field apart, and the linebacking core seemed unable to keep up with NC State’s receivers. Like the D-line, they did a good job covering the run, but if your opponent can’t stop the 6-yard out, why run?

Secondary: C

Many of the same problems that plagued the entire defensive core extend to the secondary. They couldn’t stick to their assignments. Receivers gained a lot of yards after catch by breaking poorly executed tackles. Extremely frustrating to watch Miami try to stop NC State on third down.

Special Teams: F-

The University of Miami does not have a kicker. Matt Bosher did well punting, but the ongoing competition at kicker between Darren Daly and Francesco Zampogna is like competing to see who can fall down a cliff fastest. Can Darnell Jenkins kick?

Coaching: D+

Miami looked flat the entire game. Sure, the regular starting quarterback wasn’t available, but Freeman has led Miami to a bowl victory and a comeback win against FSU. The playcalling was stagnant, mistakes were repeated over and over again and the Canes looked like a team that just played yesterday, not a team that had two weeks off. The coaches looked like they hadn’t prepared at all.

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...