Hip-hop just died this morning

KRS-One. LL Cool J. Grandmaster Flash. Tribe Called Quest. Will Smith. These five acts are some of the framers of the modern genre we happen to call hip-hop. Hip-hop is today’s pop music because it is the most relevant form of music that has taken over the airwaves. Hip-hop has been this generation’s music for the last two decades, and it seems as though the messages and lessons taught from this music will live with us forever. Hip-hop has defined our generation, and those artists who have graced our ears will live on in our minds when we are middle-aged and listening to classical music.

The fact is that hip-hop is just another genre in the musical cycle that has been regurgitated and recycled since the dawn of man. Just as classic rock was about the party scene, drugs and women over blaring guitars, basses and drums, modern popular hip-hop is about the party scene, drugs and women over synthesized drums and bumping bass. Classic rock defined our parents’ generation, jazz defined the generation before that and hip-hop defined our generation. Slowly, as we are realizing “hip-hop is dead,” new music is becoming relevant and popular.

However, we are children of the hip-hop age. It has affected the way we speak, act, treat each other and treat ourselves. Hip-hop is obsessed with glorifying violence, supporting the degradation of women, and drinking and doing drugs to no end. The problem is, after hearing this on our radios for the last two decades, we have let it become our lifestyle. There is a reason most guys have commitment issues, most girls are willing to be promiscuous and blame it on intoxication and marijuana is common among half of college kids nationwide. The reason is those very rappers who we admire promote things that shouldn’t be promoted.

Thus, after more than a three-decade run as a stronghold on the industry, hip-hop is on its deathbed. Not because there is no substance left. Not because Soulja Boy is a high-selling artist. Not because most kids who like hip-hop nowadays don’t know who KRS-One is. Rather, because it is the cycle of life and the cycle of music. Hip-hop is simply no longer relevant. And if it still is, it shouldn’t be for much longer. There is no reason for us to be subjected to violent lyrics and hatred of the other sex simply because it sounds aesthetically pleasing. We are a people of growing intellect and it is time for us to show that through our musical selection.

Don’t get me wrong. I love hip-hop. I have listened to hip-hop since I was seven years old. I listen to my iPod with any free-time I have. I write album reviews of the newest hip-hop releases. I read hip-hop news every day, or even two or three times a day. I buy hip-hop albums the day they come out. I love hip-hop and I am sure it is the most beautiful music I will ever hear because I simply relate. Not because I am a gang-banger or a rapist or a criminal, but rather because I struggle like any of them, and I support their growth and their ability to deal with it. I love hip-hop. But, like a grandmother who has simply fulfilled her time on this Earth, I am ready, nay, willing, to let her go to a better place so that her truest form can be honored and remembered in the future.

Dan Buyanovsky is a freshman from Miami majoring in entrepreneurship. He may be contacted at d.buyanovsky@umiami.edu.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...