Comedy king Seinfeld is back, but as a bumble bee

It’s difficult to doubt Jerry Seinfeld’s lasting power.

More than nine years after production of “Seinfeld” wrapped, the comedian’s groundbreaking sitcom remains one of the most heavily syndicated shows on television. This weekend, Seinfeld proved his appeal in a new way: Bee Movie, an animated film created by and staring the comedian, banked more than $40 million at the box office.

The film tells the charming story of Barry B. Benson (Seinfeld), a bee who defies the rules of beedom by talking to humans and attempting to stop them from using his species for honey. Seinfeld spoke to The Hurricane about the film and much more.

Nick Maslow: You’ve done a lot of stand-up comedy since your show, but this film has been in the making for a while now. What is it like to actually see it in theaters?

Jerry Seinfeld: It’s so exciting. Well, I haven’t seen it in a real movie theater yet. But I saw the finished product actually yesterday for the first time. It just looks great. It’s fun. It’s funny and silly. I’m really excited about it.

NM: Do you think people will comment that you look like the bee?

JS: I do look like the bee. I wanted to look like the bee.

NM: Have you become an activist for bees since making this film?

JS: There’s not much I can do, except raise awareness for bees. I think I’m doing that pretty well right now.

NM: Do you think audiences will embrace you on the big screen as much as they have on television?

JS: I hope so. With your help, if you say something nice, then they will.

Nick Maslow may be contacted at nick@miami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...