Tea party at the University Center

With posters, flags, tea cups and sweet stations representing five different countries, the I-Lounge on Tuesday night looked more similar to Disney’s Epcot than the second floor of the UC.

The Asian American Student Association (AASA) and Sigma Lambda Gamma co-hosted a tea-sampling event, which offered the more than 30 students in attendance the opportunity to sample teas from England, China, Japan, India and Iran.

Students also learned about the origins and development of tea and witnessed a live tea ceremony.

Vanessa Ferrera, who was working at the blood drive in the UC flamingo ballrooms, said she was compelled to attend the event because she was in the area and intrigued by the “interesting set-up.” The event display included an ornamental black tea set and box filled with sand and white flowers positioned in front of a black and white folding screen.

Manned by students adorned in the traditional garb of their respective countries, each station provided a brief history of the tea unique to their region and offered attendees an array of sample teas, cookies, dried fruit and sugar cubes.

The teas were researched and purchased from specialty sources, said Gloria Chow, president of AASA, though many of the teas can also be purchased at Publix.

The event concluded with a traditional Japanese tea ceremony. Three female students demonstrated the meticulous steps that must be followed in order to perform a proper tea ceremony, while a narrator explained each step and its significance.

After the ceremony was completed, the students offered to teach attendees how to perform the steps.

“[Tea] is like a sacrament to some people,” said Ethan Cohen, a junior. Cohen attended the event with his friend, junior Lorenzo Ottoviano, who added “We’ve become obsessed with tea.”

Stephanie Genuardi may be contacted at s.genuardi@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...