Louisiana flavor hits the Grove

New Orleans’ cuisine has made it to South Miami through the swank Christabelle’s Quarter in Coconut Grove. But this ornate three-story restaurant serves more than just great food, it also offers a bar and dance floor for guests to revel in New Orleans’ Mardi Gras fashion until early morning hours.

For those interested in Cajun and Creole and a good time, Christabelle’s Quarter deserves a stop on a night out in the Grove. The dinner menu is a bit pricey, with entrees starting at $19 and up, but it offers a great seafood selection like Charbroiled Louisiana Oysters and Louisiana Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes.

People looking for the traditional chicken dinners should look elsewhere, but for those craving something tasty and new, try the rabbit sauce piquant or the Louisiana crawfish etouffee.

By far, the most identifying quality of Christabelle’s Quarter is its atmosphere. With ornate stained glass windows, golden cherubs, dark wood, antique chandeliers and black iron-wrought rails lining the stairs and upper floors, the restaurant has a decidedly French boudoir flair to it. The designer, Carlos Perez de Costa, employs a heavy French Industrial era style-think Moulin Rouge meets Louisiana. It’s certainly not your stereotypical Miami-style, Art Deco neon pink.

For the fantastically ornate atmosphere alone makes Christabelle’s Quarter a must try. The food is good by all means, but in no way outstanding. Regardless, it’s worth a visit because it brings a unique, distinctive cuisine to the Gables…plus it’s a seafood lover’s heaven.

Carla Tabag may be contacted at c.tabag@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...