Kiss and tell: Roommates with benefits

V,

I live in an apartment with three other girls. I’ve been secretly hooking up with one of my roommates for a while now. We’re not dating or anything, we just really like kissing. I don’t think the other girls suspect anything, but I don’t know if we should tell them or just wait to get caught. I don’t want to make anyone uncomfortable. Should we say something to our roommates?

~ Dirty Little Secret

Dear Reader,

Well, there are certainly a lot of things to consider before you decide whether or not to tell your roommates about your secret trysts.

For starters, what’s your sexual preference, anyway? I ask this not because it really matters, but because it may make a difference in how you deliver the message about your make-out sessions to your roommates. I guarantee the bomb you drop will have much more of an impact if they didn’t know you were attracted to girls in the first place. If this is the case, you run the risk of upsetting your roommates for keeping them in the dark about a much larger part of your life.

Of course, that all depends on whether your roommates double as your friends. If not, they have no real reason to be concerned about which sex you’re in to.

What might trouble them, however, is if there’s a romantic relationship going on in their apartment that they were unaware of. Are you sure your secret meetings are purely physical? You and your roommate eat together, share a bathroom and are only separated by a few walls at any given moment. You’ve seen one another at your worst. Considering your close proximity, it would be easy for a sexual relationship to turn emotional.

Before you take things any further, think about whether or not you really want to be involved with someone you live with. Sure, there are perks (like sleepovers without having to worry about schlepping your belongings to and from the other person’s place), but you risk losing a sense of autonomy. Are you willing to give that up?

If you decide to continue the affair, don’t let your roommates find out by walking in on you two. Your apartment is their home too and they deserve to feel comfortable there. I don’t mean to imply that they should have any say of whom you choose to kiss. They simply ought to know what’s going on under their own roof. If that means a few minutes of awkward conversation, so be it. Fess up and make life easier for everyone.

Best of luck!

Fact O’ the Day: Most adolescent homosexual experiences occur with peers. One survey revealed that about 10 percent of college men and six percent of women had at least one homosexual partner in high school.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Miami Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...