CRIME ALERT: Guards assaulted on Wellness ramp

POSTED NOV. 1 AT 6:28 P.M.

Armed guards for a transport vehicle company were assaulted Tuesday morning on the Wellness Center walkway ramp, a university-wide crime alert reported Thursday afternoon.

The message detailed the following:

Loomis Fargo guards reported hearing a pop sound, and one guard said he felt something hit his arm, followed by “a stinging pain.”

The guards identified the suspect’s car as a black or dark gray Nissan Altima or Maxima with dark tints, but did no get the suspect’s license tag.

Based on the e-mail, it is unknown whether there was a shot fired from the suspect.

The Coral Gables and the University of Miami Police departments have not yet responded with details.

The message also said:
“Anyone with information regarding this crime or information that may lead to the apprehension of this individual, is asked to call UM Police at 305-284-6666 (8-6666 from a campus phone), or call Crimestoppers at 305-471-TIPS (8477) where you will remain anonymous and become eligible for a cash reward.”

UPDATE NOV. 2 AT 12:22 PM

Sgt. Javier Bruzos of the Coral Gables Police Department said he “couldn’t say with certainty” whether the guard’s “stinging pain” was caused by a gunshot.
Bruzos did say that the guard had a small welt on his arm, but he had no additional information.

“All we have is just the preliminary report,” Bruzos said. “Now [the case]is being assigned to a detective.”

Visit www.TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...