CRIME ALERT: Guards assaulted on Wellness ramp

POSTED NOV. 1 AT 6:28 P.M.

Armed guards for a transport vehicle company were assaulted Tuesday morning on the Wellness Center walkway ramp, a university-wide crime alert reported Thursday afternoon.

The message detailed the following:

Loomis Fargo guards reported hearing a pop sound, and one guard said he felt something hit his arm, followed by “a stinging pain.”

The guards identified the suspect’s car as a black or dark gray Nissan Altima or Maxima with dark tints, but did no get the suspect’s license tag.

Based on the e-mail, it is unknown whether there was a shot fired from the suspect.

The Coral Gables and the University of Miami Police departments have not yet responded with details.

The message also said:
“Anyone with information regarding this crime or information that may lead to the apprehension of this individual, is asked to call UM Police at 305-284-6666 (8-6666 from a campus phone), or call Crimestoppers at 305-471-TIPS (8477) where you will remain anonymous and become eligible for a cash reward.”

UPDATE NOV. 2 AT 12:22 PM

Sgt. Javier Bruzos of the Coral Gables Police Department said he “couldn’t say with certainty” whether the guard’s “stinging pain” was caused by a gunshot.
Bruzos did say that the guard had a small welt on his arm, but he had no additional information.

“All we have is just the preliminary report,” Bruzos said. “Now [the case]is being assigned to a detective.”

Visit www.TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...