CRIME ALERT: Guards assaulted on Wellness ramp

POSTED NOV. 1 AT 6:28 P.M.

Armed guards for a transport vehicle company were assaulted Tuesday morning on the Wellness Center walkway ramp, a university-wide crime alert reported Thursday afternoon.

The message detailed the following:

Loomis Fargo guards reported hearing a pop sound, and one guard said he felt something hit his arm, followed by “a stinging pain.”

The guards identified the suspect’s car as a black or dark gray Nissan Altima or Maxima with dark tints, but did no get the suspect’s license tag.

Based on the e-mail, it is unknown whether there was a shot fired from the suspect.

The Coral Gables and the University of Miami Police departments have not yet responded with details.

The message also said:
“Anyone with information regarding this crime or information that may lead to the apprehension of this individual, is asked to call UM Police at 305-284-6666 (8-6666 from a campus phone), or call Crimestoppers at 305-471-TIPS (8477) where you will remain anonymous and become eligible for a cash reward.”

UPDATE NOV. 2 AT 12:22 PM

Sgt. Javier Bruzos of the Coral Gables Police Department said he “couldn’t say with certainty” whether the guard’s “stinging pain” was caused by a gunshot.
Bruzos did say that the guard had a small welt on his arm, but he had no additional information.

“All we have is just the preliminary report,” Bruzos said. “Now [the case]is being assigned to a detective.”

Visit www.TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...