‘Club Richter’ needs bouncers to patrol noise

As a busy, commuting graduate student, I regret to say that my reading of The Hurricane has been grossly limited in lieu of working to make a living and attending classes at night. [Still], I hope its reading population is big enough that I can address the campus effectively. My next step is to camp out in front of President Shalala’s office until something is done.

I often make the hellish trek to UM’s library in order to get much needed school work done. I go out of my way to do this; I live north of the school and of Miami, but Richter’s resources are unparalleled. I have been doing this for two years, as long as I have been a student at UM. I feel confident saying that in the two years I have been using the library, the noise level has never been as loud as it currently is. I don’t know what happened in two years for people to think that they can just stroll in and disrupt hard-working people who use the library as a quiet refuge to do work.

The library is not a bar, people. I know you all probably need an adult to distinguish the difference, so here it is. Please shut up when you are in there. I am working. This week I have been in the library for two nights in a row, and both nights were the same. The darker it gets, the louder it gets. Cell phones ringing, audible conversations, yelling, swearing, watching media online with no headphones… I can see how you’d all be confused, how you’d think you were in a restaurant or a club. A club with an Internet and book theme! Miami’s newest hedonistic slush pit! But believe me, it never used to be like this. It’s a library.

I’m urging the staff and the administration to take more stringent measures so that the noise level is more controlled. Please. I pay (not my parents, not this time) a lot of money to go to UM, to use the library and use it the way it was meant to be used. Quietly. Respectfully. I won’t say it is not fair. I’ll just take it upon myself to do something about it, and I doubt anyone would want that. I’m an easygoing gal, but I’m really riled up about this. If I hear a cell phone ringing, I’m going to rip it out of someone’s hand and throw it. At them. I don’t want to do it, but I will. I have to. No one else is doing anything about it.

– Marguerite Kranick
Graduate student

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...