Social network woes

Students holding red cups or cigars and standing with half-opened, red eyelids is not an uncommon sight on Facebook.

With employees using networking Web sites as an applicant research tool, students should be aware that legal liability does not exist on social networking sites, said Patricia Abril, assistant professor of Business Law.

Abril, who researched Internet privacy after receiving complaints from students, said that although pictures can be removed from Web sites, the person with ownership of the pictures can still upload them again.

“The digital form is permanent,” Abril said. “It’s not only what you do online, it’s also what you do offline.”

Abril also noted that social networking sites that promote security with just a “.edu” address can be deceptive. Anyone may have access to a “.edu” address, including interns. Employers can have their interns research applicants, Abril said.

“It really is a false sense of security that they’re offering students,” Abril said, also noting, “whatever is out there is out there.”

Incriminating information can also pose a threat to unemployed students. Images may be brought to the attention of Dean of Students Ricardo D. Hall by faculty, staff and students.

Hall said that anonymous links to Facebook pages usually occur during Greek Rush and recruitment. Still, students will only be investigated if they violate the code of conduct as stated in the Students Rights and Responsibilities handbook.

“What you’re putting out there is what you should want an employer to see,” said Hall.

Although Abril warns of the negative aspects of social networking sites, Abril also said they can “promote a great opportunity for creating many students’ identities.”

Hall said that during the Virginia Tech tragedy, Facebook was beneficial in posting responses and feedback among campuses nationwide.

With employers and school administrators keeping watch, some students said they are cautious when using Facebook or MySpace.

“I’m very conscious about everything that goes on my Facebook because I know that I can’t control who sees it,” said senior Fatima Reynolds. “This is basically the impression people are going to get of me.”

Analisa Harangozo may be contacted at a.harangozo@umiami.edu.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...