Miller School of Medicine awarded $3.6M for AIDS research

The National Institutes of Health has awarded the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine a five-year, $3.6 million grant to study AIDS.

The money will be used to establish a Developmental Center for AIDS research, the nineteenth center in the country but the first in Florida.

Florida is the state with the third-highest rate of adult HIV/AIDS cases in America, following New York and California, but has the second-highest number of pediatric cases, according to the Florida Department of Health.

The Bureau of HIV/AIDS estimates that 125,000 Floridians are living with HIV infection.

“The Miller School of Medicine has been at the forefront of HIV/AIDS research and care since the earliest days of the AIDS epidemic,” said Pascal J. Goldschmidt, dean of the school of medicine, in a press release. “The new support from the NIH will help us further our mission, and build on what is already a highly regarded research and treatment program in the field of HIV infection and AIDS.”

The grant will fund research in vaccines and immune system response to drug treatments.

“The pathogenesis of HIV/AIDS is something we need to more fully understand,” said Savita Pahwa, the new center’s primary researcher, in a press release. “For example, if you do get infected, how do you keep the virus under control? And why are there so-called elite controllers, people whose disease does not progress at all? By bringing all of the HIV researchers together we can truly continue to move this field forward.”

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...