Jigsaw is back with ‘Saw IV’

He’s back.again. “Saw IV” starts out with Jigsaw (Tobin Bell), the mastermind behind the Saw conspiracy, undergoing a graphic autopsy. As the pathologist peels back the layers of his body, scars from the last movies resurface.

Diehard fans of the Saw series might be upset about how much the latest installment stands apart from the original film. The infamous “games” are more elaborate, high-tech and tragic and Jigsaw’s initial intent for his games-for his subjects to emerge with a newfound appreciation for life-is completely disregarded.

The film’s major flaw is its confusing storyline. Frequent flashbacks and occasional foreshadowing make the plot difficult to follow. It appears that “Saw IV” was rushed in order to reach its deadline this Halloween.

Also, with the central role that the police play, it is unbelievable that a SWAT commander (Lyriq Bent) and FBI agent (Scott Patterson) would run around dark, abandoned warehouses chasing a serial killer without backup. The impracticality of the very illegal police interrogation of Jigsaw’s ex-wife, Jill (Betsy Russell), further detaches the viewer from the situation-making the movie less scary.

One positive aspect of the movie is Jigsaw’s excellent character development. The flashback sequences explain his transformation from a decent human being into a monster. However, his cancer is no excuse for what he does, as detective Eric Matthews (Donnie Wahlberg) noted in “Saw II.”

Moviegoers fond of the sick psychopath need not worry, there’s plenty of Jigsaw in “Saw IV.” If you think it’s over just because he’s dead, “It’s not over. The games have just begun.”

For an interview with “Saw IV” star Lyriq Bent, please visit themiamihurricane.com.

Kimberly Rubenstein may be contacted at k.rubenstein@umiami.edu.

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...