Jigsaw is back with ‘Saw IV’

He’s back.again. “Saw IV” starts out with Jigsaw (Tobin Bell), the mastermind behind the Saw conspiracy, undergoing a graphic autopsy. As the pathologist peels back the layers of his body, scars from the last movies resurface.

Diehard fans of the Saw series might be upset about how much the latest installment stands apart from the original film. The infamous “games” are more elaborate, high-tech and tragic and Jigsaw’s initial intent for his games-for his subjects to emerge with a newfound appreciation for life-is completely disregarded.

The film’s major flaw is its confusing storyline. Frequent flashbacks and occasional foreshadowing make the plot difficult to follow. It appears that “Saw IV” was rushed in order to reach its deadline this Halloween.

Also, with the central role that the police play, it is unbelievable that a SWAT commander (Lyriq Bent) and FBI agent (Scott Patterson) would run around dark, abandoned warehouses chasing a serial killer without backup. The impracticality of the very illegal police interrogation of Jigsaw’s ex-wife, Jill (Betsy Russell), further detaches the viewer from the situation-making the movie less scary.

One positive aspect of the movie is Jigsaw’s excellent character development. The flashback sequences explain his transformation from a decent human being into a monster. However, his cancer is no excuse for what he does, as detective Eric Matthews (Donnie Wahlberg) noted in “Saw II.”

Moviegoers fond of the sick psychopath need not worry, there’s plenty of Jigsaw in “Saw IV.” If you think it’s over just because he’s dead, “It’s not over. The games have just begun.”

For an interview with “Saw IV” star Lyriq Bent, please visit themiamihurricane.com.

Kimberly Rubenstein may be contacted at k.rubenstein@umiami.edu.

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...