Tickets required for students at final OB game

POSTED OCT. 20 AT 10:48 A.M.

Students planning to attend the final University of Miami football game at the Orange Bowl must pick up tickets beforehand, in addition to showing their Cane Card at the game, student leaders learned Thursday.

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, announced that 7,300 student passes would be available and that tickets may be picked up at the University Center during the following times:

-Oct. 28 to Nov. 2, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
-Nov. 6. to Nov. 9, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

An official announcement is expected next week.

“We’re trying to be sure of who’s coming to prepare for seating,” Whitely said, noting that ticketing and seating will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Both the lower and upper decks of the student section will be available for the Nov 10 game against the University of Virginia Cavaliers. Though 1,000 student tickets will be allotted for the upper deck part of the student section, Whitely said season ticket holders for that area will not be affected.

She also said no guest passes will be offered for the game, explaining that doing so would reduce by 300 the number of student who could attend.

RUSHING GAME
Whitely also addressed the issue of students rushing the field after the game, which she called a “really, really poor idea.”

“I don’t want people to think it can [happen], because it can’t,” she said, adding there will be “very serious implications” for students who rush the field.

She said the university will soon begin a marketing campaign warning students not to rush the field and noted Miami-Dade police will surround the field before game’s end. Police also surrounded the field near the end of this year’s game against Florida International University because of last year’s brawl.

Students began discussing rushing the field after the Aug. 21 decision that home football games will be played at Dolphin Stadium next season. A Facebook group currently counts 1,400-plus members in support of rushing the field at the Virginia game.

Athletic Director Paul Dee also addressed the topic Thursday evening on WQAM 560’s Hurricane Hotline radio show.

“We’re not in a position where people rush the field or take their seats or do vandalism,” Dee said, noting that FIU will play two more home games in the 70-year-old stadium after the UM’s game against UVA.

TRANSPORTATION CONSIDERATIONS
Looking to next season, Whitely also announced Thursday that she has appointed a committee to look at options for transporting students to Dolphin Stadium next season.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu.

To commemorate the Hurricanes’ final game in the Orange Bowl, The Miami Hurricane will publish a special issue after the game against UVA.

Please look for this issue in stands and online on Monday, Nov. 12.

Send any personal stories or memories regarding the Orange Bowl to news@themiamihurricane.com.

Submissions must include your name and year in school for students; name, graduation year and current geographic location (city and state) for alumni; and name and geographic location for other fans.

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...