Law professor charged with soliciting prostitution

A University of Miami Law School professor was charged on Aug. 22 with one count of misdemeanor for soliciting a prostitute.

Donald Marvin Jones, who has worked at the law school since 1988, approached a female, undercover police officer who was posing as a prostitute, according to the city of Miami Police Department incident report.

The report says Jones offered the officer $20 for sex, and was subsequently stopped and arrested after the police officer gave the “take down signal.”

The arrest occurred on Aug. 22 at the Little River neighborhood at the intersection of N.W. 1st Court and N.W. 79th Street, at 10:05 p.m.

Jones, who has been on sabbatical since the beginning of the academic semester, did not respond to telephone and e-mail requests from The Miami Hurricane for comment. Jones entered a written plea of not guilty and asked for a trial, according to the Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts Web site.

“The professor has made us aware of the charges against him,” said Dennis O. Lynch, dean of the School of Law. “He is a respected member of our law school community, and the validity of the charges will be determined through the appropriate judicial proceedings. I mean, he’s only been charged.”

Karla Hernandez, associate director of Media Relations, said UM is a private institution and cannot comment on personal matters.

Jeffrey Weiner, a UM alumnus and Iron Arrow member, is the lawyer defending Jones. His office said that Weiner does not comment on client cases.

At the time of publication, there was no date set for a future hearing, but a motion for continuance was filed at the Oct. 15 hearing.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

To read the arrest report, visit TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...