Law professor charged with soliciting prostitution

A University of Miami Law School professor was charged on Aug. 22 with one count of misdemeanor for soliciting a prostitute.

Donald Marvin Jones, who has worked at the law school since 1988, approached a female, undercover police officer who was posing as a prostitute, according to the city of Miami Police Department incident report.

The report says Jones offered the officer $20 for sex, and was subsequently stopped and arrested after the police officer gave the “take down signal.”

The arrest occurred on Aug. 22 at the Little River neighborhood at the intersection of N.W. 1st Court and N.W. 79th Street, at 10:05 p.m.

Jones, who has been on sabbatical since the beginning of the academic semester, did not respond to telephone and e-mail requests from The Miami Hurricane for comment. Jones entered a written plea of not guilty and asked for a trial, according to the Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts Web site.

“The professor has made us aware of the charges against him,” said Dennis O. Lynch, dean of the School of Law. “He is a respected member of our law school community, and the validity of the charges will be determined through the appropriate judicial proceedings. I mean, he’s only been charged.”

Karla Hernandez, associate director of Media Relations, said UM is a private institution and cannot comment on personal matters.

Jeffrey Weiner, a UM alumnus and Iron Arrow member, is the lawyer defending Jones. His office said that Weiner does not comment on client cases.

At the time of publication, there was no date set for a future hearing, but a motion for continuance was filed at the Oct. 15 hearing.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

To read the arrest report, visit TheMiamiHurricane.com.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...