Canes stumble against Seminoles

The women’s soccer team dropped their second ACC game this weekend to state rival No. 12 Florida State by a score of 4-1.

The Seminoles, who had the previous week off, came into the game with the nation’s leading offense and three consecutive shutouts. This was the first game in ACC play that Miami had given up more than a single goal. The Canes fall to 9-4-3 (4-2-1 ACC) on the season.

“I think this is a lesson learned for the team,” Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “When you play the top teams in the ACC and the top teams in the nation, you have to come out and play for all 90 minutes and take care of your individual responsibilities.”

Miami’s defense was flat right from the start, giving up six shots in the first 10 minutes. In the seventh minute, FSU freshman Sanna Talonen showed impressive footwork and ball control, evading Miami defenders to put her team up 1-0. Only 10 minutes later, Florida State freshman Amanda DaCosta dribbled through three Miami defenders and made a pass to the team’s leading scorer, junior Mami Yamaguchi, who extended FSU’s lead to 2-0.

Miami’s dynamic offense was silenced, and their defense never seemed to find a groove, as Talonen added another goal in the 37th minute to increase Miami’s deficit to 3. Senior goalkeeper Lauren McAdam came up with a big save right before the half against FSU defender Katrin Schmidt to keep the game from getting out of reach.

In the second half, a more aggressive Miami team came out of the locker room. The Canes started to find a rhythm using the teamwork and conditioning that has been so pivotal to their success thus far. In the 49th minute, freshman Brittney Steinbruch notched her 16th goal of the season on a feed from freshman Lauren Singer, cutting the Noles’ lead to 3-1.

“I’m proud of the way that we played in the second half,” Taliaferro said. “We came back composed, scored and created some good scoring chances.”

Miami would continue their offensive dominance in the second half out-shooting Florida State 7-3, but FSU’s defense, along with freshman goalkeeper Erin McNulty, were up to the task.

In the 64th minute, FSU junior Erika Sutton increased the lead to 4-1 on a loose ball in front of the Miami goal. Despite the Noles’ second-half goal, the Canes’ defensive effort stepped up as they improved tremendously from their play in the first half.

The Canes will have the week off before they play host to Clemson this Saturday at 7 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Rory Lincoln may be contacted at r.lincoln@umiami.edu.

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...