UM News

Judge reprimands UM law student on national TV

“The People’s Court” Judge Marilyn Milian castigated University of Miami law student Eric Paolino on a TV episode that aired last Monday.

Paolino was the defendant in a landlord-tenant dispute. The plaintiff, Susan M. Murray, who is also a UM grad student, gave Paolino a $450 deposit for one of Paolino’s rooms in his Coconut Grove condo. After seeing the extensive application process, however, Murray rescinded her request and wanted her deposit back.

Paolino refused. The two were approached by People’s Court last spring and both opted to appear on the show.

When Milian told Paolino that he had failed to give Murray enough notice about the application process, he responded, “That’s your opinion.”

Milian became enraged and threw down her glasses before proceeding to reprimand Paolino from the bench.

“No, that’s my ruling, pal, and let me tell you something, Mr. University of Miami Law School,” Milian said, pointing her finger at him as her voice rose. “I taught at UM for many, many years and you, right now, are embarrassing us. You do not show that kind of disrespect, OK? If you don’t like what the judge is doing, then you take it to the next forum but you do not sit here and say, ‘That’s your opinion,’ like a baby, when a judge rules against you.”

The upbraiding continued for several minutes to a rapt courtroom.

When Milian said, “You’ve got a lot to learn about what it means to be a litigator and a lawyer,” Paolino replied that he didn’t want to be a litigator.

“Good,” said Milian, “because you don’t have it in you. You have a lot to learn what it means to be a member of the Florida bar. I don’t care what you think of me, but you have to respect the process. And if there’s anybody who I expect to respect this process, it’s a second-year law student at the University of Miami,” Milian said, punctuating her words by banging her fist on the bench.

She ended her diatribe by ruling in favor of the plaintiff before sweeping from the silent courtroom.

“I felt like I was on a Jerry Springer show. I did not feel like I was in a court of law,” Paolino told The Miami Herald. “I just hope my reputation isn’t permanently shot.”

-By Kelly Herson

Etc.

Habitat for Humanity International is now accepting applications for Youth Immersion, a new volunteer program for college and high school youth. For more information, visit www.habitat.org/youthprograms/yi.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...