Career tests provide valuable results via multiple methods

Career assessment tests are one of the most popular methods used when searching for new career paths, according to a recent CNN.com article. But some of the Toppel Career Center staff believe they should not be taken at face value.

Anne Alexander, assistant director of Career Development and Outreach at Toppel, believes career assessments, taken by one out of five workers, are one aspect of the career-finding process, but they do not help people decide lifelong careers.

Instead, she said the tests help people find their interests and “with the help of a qualified career counselor, people can begin to explore their career options based on the assessment’s results.”

The CNN article, written by Mary Lorenz, also noted that some career tests are more useful than others, and a “valid career test will measure what it says it will, and reliable tests consistently produce the same results if taken multiple times.”

Toppel Career Center offers two career assessment tests: an online version called TypeFocus and a Self Directed Search, which can be chosen at the Toppel Career Center. The Counseling Center offers a wider variety of career assessments for more specialized needs.

Visit www.TheMiamiHurricane.com to read another story by I’shawnna Henderson regarding fees associated with Fall Career Expo.

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...