Career tests provide valuable results via multiple methods

Career assessment tests are one of the most popular methods used when searching for new career paths, according to a recent CNN.com article. But some of the Toppel Career Center staff believe they should not be taken at face value.

Anne Alexander, assistant director of Career Development and Outreach at Toppel, believes career assessments, taken by one out of five workers, are one aspect of the career-finding process, but they do not help people decide lifelong careers.

Instead, she said the tests help people find their interests and “with the help of a qualified career counselor, people can begin to explore their career options based on the assessment’s results.”

The CNN article, written by Mary Lorenz, also noted that some career tests are more useful than others, and a “valid career test will measure what it says it will, and reliable tests consistently produce the same results if taken multiple times.”

Toppel Career Center offers two career assessment tests: an online version called TypeFocus and a Self Directed Search, which can be chosen at the Toppel Career Center. The Counseling Center offers a wider variety of career assessments for more specialized needs.

Visit www.TheMiamiHurricane.com to read another story by I’shawnna Henderson regarding fees associated with Fall Career Expo.

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...