A survival guide to MORPHING into work life

Transitioning from college to the adult world of taxes, offices and fancy suits can be a maddening and terrifying experience; but it doesn’t have to be.

Tim Bryce of the international management consulting firm M. Bryce & Associates, recognized this ordeal, which led him to write Morphing into the Real World: The Handbook for Entering the Work Force. Dubbed “A Comprehensive Survival Guide for Adulthood,” the book may not assuage every fear new employees have, but it does act as a good primer for the working world.

While the majority of the book focuses on surviving and adapting to the workplace, the basics to adult life are handled right away in the first chapter. Everything from keeping expenses and papers in order (buy a file cabinet), to nutrition (breakfast really is that important) are touched upon, allowing readers to understand and start preparing for anything they may not have thought about since becoming independent.

Then it is right into the office. Advice ranges from topics like dealing with co-workers to how to handle transfers or firings. Readers also benefit from the book’s broad array of subjects that aid and guide new employees as they advance in their careers and improve their skills. Recaps at the end of each chapter lend themselves to repeat readings of the book for quick reference; while collections of famous quotes and original snippets of wisdom, known as Bryce’s Laws, are found throughout the book.

However, due to all the points that need to be explained, several portions of the book end up being shorter than readers may wish. To be fair, the book is still full of information and reads quickly at around 200 pages. But if there is a subject the reader wants to learn more about, such as dealing with stress, additional independent research would probably be required.

The book’s flow can also feel disjointed at times. The second chapter in particular consists of several essays that were written for people already in management, which can cause a disconnection and some confusion for a reader expecting the book to be tailored to an entry-level position.

Still, the abundance of information the book provides is a good start for anyone about to take the first step into the real world. Though the concept of adulthood may seem intimidating, it’s comforting to know that someone has at least written a guidebook for it.

René Basulto may be contacted at r.basulto@umiami.edu.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...