A survival guide to MORPHING into work life

Transitioning from college to the adult world of taxes, offices and fancy suits can be a maddening and terrifying experience; but it doesn’t have to be.

Tim Bryce of the international management consulting firm M. Bryce & Associates, recognized this ordeal, which led him to write Morphing into the Real World: The Handbook for Entering the Work Force. Dubbed “A Comprehensive Survival Guide for Adulthood,” the book may not assuage every fear new employees have, but it does act as a good primer for the working world.

While the majority of the book focuses on surviving and adapting to the workplace, the basics to adult life are handled right away in the first chapter. Everything from keeping expenses and papers in order (buy a file cabinet), to nutrition (breakfast really is that important) are touched upon, allowing readers to understand and start preparing for anything they may not have thought about since becoming independent.

Then it is right into the office. Advice ranges from topics like dealing with co-workers to how to handle transfers or firings. Readers also benefit from the book’s broad array of subjects that aid and guide new employees as they advance in their careers and improve their skills. Recaps at the end of each chapter lend themselves to repeat readings of the book for quick reference; while collections of famous quotes and original snippets of wisdom, known as Bryce’s Laws, are found throughout the book.

However, due to all the points that need to be explained, several portions of the book end up being shorter than readers may wish. To be fair, the book is still full of information and reads quickly at around 200 pages. But if there is a subject the reader wants to learn more about, such as dealing with stress, additional independent research would probably be required.

The book’s flow can also feel disjointed at times. The second chapter in particular consists of several essays that were written for people already in management, which can cause a disconnection and some confusion for a reader expecting the book to be tailored to an entry-level position.

Still, the abundance of information the book provides is a good start for anyone about to take the first step into the real world. Though the concept of adulthood may seem intimidating, it’s comforting to know that someone has at least written a guidebook for it.

René Basulto may be contacted at r.basulto@umiami.edu.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...