MATCHUP: MIAMI v. FSU

QUARTERBACKS

Kyle Wright has one last opportunity to get over the hump against Florida State. He must not turnover the football and do a better job executing passes downfield. Xavier Lee has had ups and downs, but has made more plays than Drew Weatherford. Lee is good on the run and has also thrown for five touchdowns.
Advantage: EVEN

O-LINE

It has been a nightmare for the Miami offensive line the past two seasons against the Seminoles. The group allowed one sack last week and must build on the game. Florida State has allowed 12 sacks on the year. The group has not done a great job opening holes for Antone Smith.
Advantage: EVEN

RUNNING BACKS

Javarris James has been a non-factor in ACC games and needs to perform up to his capabilities. The Hurricanes need a long run from Graig Cooper or Shawnbrey McNeal this week. Antone Smith has not lived up to the hype for the Seminoles. He has rushed for just 322 yards and three touchdowns this season.
Advantage: Miami

RECEIVERS

Sam Shields must have his number called often and catch some deep balls this week. Darnell Jenkins needs to be more involved and help the Hurricanes convert in third down situations. Greg Carr leads the Seminoles with 508 receiving yards and three touchdowns while Preston Parker has put up good numbers the past few weeks.
Advantage: Florida State

D-LINE

Calais Campbell needs to make an impact on Saturday. The Hurricanes are ravaged by injuries at defensive tackle and need players such as Vegas Franklin to fill the void effectively. Miami must contain Everette Brown, who has five sacks and eight tackles for a loss for the Seminoles.
Advantage: EVEN

LINEBACKERS

Colin McCarthy’s return is a big plus for the Hurricanes, who have struggled to stop the run in recent weeks. Florida State has been solid on run defense this season. Geno Hayes leads the unit for the Seminoles with three sacks and 12 tackles for a loss while Derek Nicholson has a nose for the football with 44 tackles.
Advantage: Florida State

SECONDARY

Miami’s cornerbacks must be ready to go up against the size and speed of the Seminole receivers. The Hurricanes need Kenny Phillips to have a productive game and help create turnovers. Florida State has more proven players and depth when you look at the two teams. Cornerbacks Tony Carter and Patrick Robinson have each recorded two interceptions.
Advantage: Florida State

SPECIAL TEAMS

This could be another game decided by special teams. The Hurricanes need to create a shorter field position for the offense. Matt Bosher must put together his best game while Francesco Zampogna needs to convert from short distance. Seminoles kicker Gary Cismesia is 8-for-11 on the season while Michael Ray Garvin and Preston Parker have both been productive returning kicks.
Advantage: Florida State

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...