As sirens blasted, many students did not receive texts

POSTED OCT. 18 AT 12:59 P.M.

Sirens sounded at 12:15 p.m. today as scheduled, but many students did not receive the emergency text message.

Students seemed largely unaffected by the sirens, and seemed more curious about the six camera crews stationed at the Rock, including WFOR channel 4, WSVN channel 7 and WPLG channel 10 news. Crews searched for students who had received the emergency text, but could not find any by 12:20 p.m.

The emergency text message read: “TEST.TEST.TEST. This is a test of the University of Miami Emergency Notification Network. Take NO action. Tell others. If this were a real emergency, specific information would be sent. Visit www.miami.edu/prepare for information.”

Alan Fish, vice president of Business Services, said during a press conference yesterday that 98 percent of students have registered their cell phone numbers on myUM.

Some students such as sophomore J.C. Mendiola, who had not received a text as of 12:25 p.m., think the university has done a lot to raise awareness of the Virginia Tech massacre, but still think there are problems with preparedness.

“The siren didn’t sound different enough from the lightening blast,” Mendiola said.

Other students were not aware that the test was even happening. Three students walking in late to a media law class in the School of Communication were greeted by Professor Sigman Splichal who jokingly asked, “Were you all afraid of being abducted by terrorists?”

After he explained that he was referring to the university’s emergency test, the students looked surprised and said, “Really?”

Pat Cunnane contributed to this article.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Sophomore Evan McKendry rebounded with a dazzling start, and No. 24 Miami handed No. 1 Florida its f ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...