As sirens blasted, many students did not receive texts

POSTED OCT. 18 AT 12:59 P.M.

Sirens sounded at 12:15 p.m. today as scheduled, but many students did not receive the emergency text message.

Students seemed largely unaffected by the sirens, and seemed more curious about the six camera crews stationed at the Rock, including WFOR channel 4, WSVN channel 7 and WPLG channel 10 news. Crews searched for students who had received the emergency text, but could not find any by 12:20 p.m.

The emergency text message read: “TEST.TEST.TEST. This is a test of the University of Miami Emergency Notification Network. Take NO action. Tell others. If this were a real emergency, specific information would be sent. Visit www.miami.edu/prepare for information.”

Alan Fish, vice president of Business Services, said during a press conference yesterday that 98 percent of students have registered their cell phone numbers on myUM.

Some students such as sophomore J.C. Mendiola, who had not received a text as of 12:25 p.m., think the university has done a lot to raise awareness of the Virginia Tech massacre, but still think there are problems with preparedness.

“The siren didn’t sound different enough from the lightening blast,” Mendiola said.

Other students were not aware that the test was even happening. Three students walking in late to a media law class in the School of Communication were greeted by Professor Sigman Splichal who jokingly asked, “Were you all afraid of being abducted by terrorists?”

After he explained that he was referring to the university’s emergency test, the students looked surprised and said, “Really?”

Pat Cunnane contributed to this article.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...