University aims to strengthen security

See also: Security Overview

In light of the Virginia Tech massacre last April, the university has recently initiated the Emergency Notification Network, a system that sends emergency text messages to students and faculty.

The security system, which will be tested Thursday, cost nearly $100,000 and uses wireless and Global Positioning System (GPS) technology.

The text-message notification is an update to the computerized system already in place at the university, which sends emergency e-mails and phone calls to students and faculty.

“One way is OK, two ways is good and three ways is even better,” said Alan Fish, vice president of Business Services. “There’s nothing wrong with redundancy if you have an emergency.”

The university has also updated the lightning blast notification, the siren that sounds during thunderstorms, to include notification for other emergencies such as school shootings.

During Thursday’s drill, all members of the University of Miami community who have registered their cell phone numbers on myUM will receive a text message at 12:15 p.m. The outdoor emergency notification sirens will be tested as well.

“When you hear this you got to know that there’s something going on at UM, and you’ve got to get out of harm’s way,” Fish said.

Currently, 90 percent of students and about 73 percent of faculty have registered their cell phone numbers.

A similar text-messaging system was tested at Virginia Tech last Wednesday when an emergency text was sent to more than 18,000 people (60 percent of the university community) who signed up for the service. The Associated Press reported that hundreds of people said they did not receive a text message, although a university spokesperson said it was unclear whether these people were signed up for the service.

Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia A. Whitely, the UM Police Department and Fish will host a student news conference on Oct. 17 at 10 a.m. to discuss the emergency test.

For more information about the Emergency Notification Network and step-by-step registration directions visit www.miami.edu/prepare. To listen to the Emergency Notification Network siren tone visit TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...