Sports Briefs

Cross Country
‘Canes finish up at Furman Invitational

The University of Miami men’s and women’s cross country teams finished in eighth and 11th place, respectively, at the Furman Invitational.

Senior Alex Paley led the way for the Hurricane men, as he finished 28th. Also chipping in were juniors Ryan Woodlee and Andrew Chuplis, who finished 42nd and 43rd, respectively. Brandon Calbaro finished 54th, Tim Harris finished 62nd, Eric Miller finished 74th and Greg Grosicki finished 85th.

The Hurricane women were led by senior Delia Phlatts, who placed 25th. Her finish marked the ninth straight competition where she has led the way for the Hurricane women.

The Hurricane’s cause was also helped by Ena Leufroy, who finished 66th; Caitlin Knapp, who finished 69th; Katherine Woodard, who finished 83rd; Jessica Fern, who finished 102nd; Andrea Wood, who finished 106th; and Anika Arevalo, who finished 112th.

Baseball
DiMare promoted to assistant head coach

Gino DiMare has been promoted to assistant head baseball coach. The decision was made by Head Coach Jim Morris, who had nothing but good things to say about DiMare.

“Gino has been here 12 years with me, which is longer than any assistant that I’ve ever had,” Morris said. “He’s worked very hard to earn and deserve this title through his recruiting and coaching on the field.

“He’s brought in a lot of talent with recruiting, and I think he’s known as one of the best recruiters in college baseball. Also, he brings a winning tradition as a player and as a coach. He understands what it takes to get back to Omaha, and he’s been very good in helping lead our players in that direction.”

Rowing
Hurricanes start off strong for fall

The Miami Hurricanes rowing team started the fall schedule with a strong showing against Nova Southeastern University, as both of the Hurricanes’ eights finished first and second in all six pieces.

“I was very proud of our team today,” Head Coach Robbie Tenenbaum said. “Both of our boats raced hard, and I know that everyone on our team was happy to get our first competition under our belts.”

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...