Report Card: Miami v. GA Tech

Quarterbacks: C-

Kyle Wright was inconsistent. He went 8-for-17 with 56 yards and his longest connection was only 11 yards. But, Wright didn’t cause a turnover and he was a more efficient runner, which is something he hasn’t proved in previous games. Kirby Freeman stepped in for a few plays to remind us why Wright is our best option.

Running Backs: B-

This unit carried the offense, especially in the first half, accounting for 167 of the 223 total offensive yards. Javarris James was contained to only four yards but his partner, Graig Cooper, led with 66 yards on 12 carries. Freshman Shawnbrey McNeal recorded his first touchdown, which gave Miami the lead throughout the first half.

Receiver Corps: C-

On the shoulders of Kyle Wright, the receiving corps was held to 56 yards against a team that has given up almost 167 yards per game on average this season. Sam Shields scored the only passing touchdown of the competition.

OffensiVe Line: C-

The O-Line allowed one sack against Wright for a loss of eight yards. This group, while improved in comparison to last year, still has to do a better job of protecting the quarterback and giving him more time to make better decisions in the pocket.

Defensive Line: D

This unit that hasn’t given up a single point in the first half at home during the last five games. But, the second half is a different story. A sad story.

Linebackers: C

This unit was moved around a lot today, so experience (or lack thereof) came into play. Tavares Gooden led with 13 tackles. Darryl Sharpton was the only linebacker that recorded a tackle for loss with one yard. For this group to dominate Florida State next week, they must force turnovers and push back their opponent.

Secondary: D

The secondary was not aggressive in tackling GA Tech’s runners-they frequently waited back instead of meeting the player and stopping them sooner. This ineptitude allowed the Yellow Jackets 13 first downs rushing (albeit not all directly resulted from the secondary). GT running back Tashard Choice was allowed a 54-yard carry that led to their first touchdown in the third quarter.

Special Teams: C

Francesco Zampogna added two extra points to the board while facing a rather windy Miami day. All we can ask is that he kicks more consistently. Matt Bosher had a disappointing 28-yard punt in the first quarter and gave GT great field position on his kicks.

Coaching: B-/C+

Offensive Coordinator Patrick Nix, a former Yellow Jacket, was uninventive with play calling-on one drive in the fourth quarter, the same play was used (unsuccessfully) on first, second and third downs. Head Coach Randy Shannon made his influence more visible as he got in the faces of members of the defensive line. His strategies are not being implemented by the younger players.

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...