MOVIE REVIEW: ‘Michael Clayton’

With all the popcorn cinema that is released, it’s refreshing to see something like Michael Clayton.

The new film, starring George Clooney in the titular role, is about a “fixer” at a prestigious law firm. A series of problematic events turns dangerous when the firm’s star litigator goes crazy and turns a case against his client, the massive energy conglomerate UNorth. To say more would detract from the incisive intensity that pervades throughout the film. It seems that it’s becoming increasingly hard to find movies that expect something from its audience. Michael Clayton sweeps you up in an enthralling maelstrom of deception, corporate corruption and paranoia, and it never stops to let you speculate.

The result is an ostensibly basic and almost minimalist surface. Dialogue is the sole agent of progression, and these legal and political types speak a language anyone can understand. But it’s what they’re not saying, what lies under the seemingly simple structure, that gives the film such a deep and memorable story. In other words, it finds a perfect balance between intelligence and confusion.

If the film has one shortcoming, it’s Clayton himself. While he does move the plot and keep us interested, he is never given a human dimension. The closest we get to a soft side is a brilliant scene with his son. Still, one may argue Clayton’s detachment fits in with the theme of the cold, corporate model.

Michael Clayton shows that considerable depth can be wrought from dialogue and little else-and that not all films need explosions to entertain.

Gabe Habash may be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...