MOVIE REVIEW: ‘Michael Clayton’

With all the popcorn cinema that is released, it’s refreshing to see something like Michael Clayton.

The new film, starring George Clooney in the titular role, is about a “fixer” at a prestigious law firm. A series of problematic events turns dangerous when the firm’s star litigator goes crazy and turns a case against his client, the massive energy conglomerate UNorth. To say more would detract from the incisive intensity that pervades throughout the film. It seems that it’s becoming increasingly hard to find movies that expect something from its audience. Michael Clayton sweeps you up in an enthralling maelstrom of deception, corporate corruption and paranoia, and it never stops to let you speculate.

The result is an ostensibly basic and almost minimalist surface. Dialogue is the sole agent of progression, and these legal and political types speak a language anyone can understand. But it’s what they’re not saying, what lies under the seemingly simple structure, that gives the film such a deep and memorable story. In other words, it finds a perfect balance between intelligence and confusion.

If the film has one shortcoming, it’s Clayton himself. While he does move the plot and keep us interested, he is never given a human dimension. The closest we get to a soft side is a brilliant scene with his son. Still, one may argue Clayton’s detachment fits in with the theme of the cold, corporate model.

Michael Clayton shows that considerable depth can be wrought from dialogue and little else-and that not all films need explosions to entertain.

Gabe Habash may be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...