Football Matchup: Miami v. GA Tech

Kyle Wright needs to make a statement after losing to the Yellow Jackets twice in the past two seasons. Wright has been inconsistent once again this season, throwing eight interceptions and continuing to make poor decisions in the red zone. Taylor Bennett has yet to prove he can do more than just manage the game against an ACC opponent on the road. He has thrown for 1,016 yards, tossed for two scores and has thrown two interceptions.
Advantage: MIAMI

Miami’s group up front was a culprit for the team’s woes last week. The unit was ineffective for three quarters of the game and has a tougher task this week. The Yellow Jackets have allowed just four sacks on the season and the group has played well against Miami the past two seasons.

Javarris James and Graig Cooper need to have a productive first half and set the tone early. The Hurricanes need one of its tailbacks to surpass the 100-yard mark. Georgia Tech’s Tashard Choice ranks among the best in the ACC and has rushed for 606 yards with six touchdowns. Jonathan Dwyer is a solid backup and has also reached pay dirt six times.

Darnell Jenkins and Sam Shields need to have strong performances back to back. Jenkins continues to be a reliable target, and he has confidence after a 97-yard touchdown reception. Georgia Tech surely misses Calvin Johnson. Demaryius Thomas has been the go-to receiver, with 314 receiving yards and two touchdowns.
Advantage: MIAMI

Miami’s unit was not much of a factor last week. The Hurricanes must have a better effort across the board Saturday and force Bennett to be uncomfortable in the pocket. Georgia Tech has a couple playmakers to keep an eye on. Vance Walker has 5.5 sacks and nine tackles for a loss while Darrell Robertson has 3.5 sacks and two fumble recoveries.
Advantage: EVEN

The Hurricanes allowed 183 yards on the ground last week to North Carolina. The Yellow Jackets have held opponents to just 68.5 yards rushing per game. Phillip Wheeler leads the group with 37 tackles, 4.5 sacks and two fumble recoveries.

Miami’s cornerbacks must start tackling better and must not allow big plays. Both Carlos Armour and Bruce Johnson missed tackles that resulted in two touchdowns. The Yellow Jackets secondary is the weakest part, if any, on the defense. The group has only recorded two interceptions and has allowed 233.8 passing yards per game.
Advantage: MIAMI

Miami’s unit was awful last week, despite improved results from the return team. Francesco Zampogna missed a 32-yard field goal and PAT while Matt Bosher continues to struggle and had a punt blocked. The Yellow Jackets’ Travis Bell is 14-for-17 in field goals while punter Durant Brooks has averaged 46 yards per punt.

Saturday’s game will be televised nationally on ESPN and broadcast locally on WVUM 90.5 FM. The game begins at noon.
Visit for post-game coverage.

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Junior Dewi Weber will become the first University of Miami golfer to compete in the Arnold Palmer C ...

FAU used a six-run ninth inning to pull past Miami Wednesday night at Mark Light Field, capturing an ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...