Florida Marlins hooked on walk for multiple myeloma

Fishermen say that the better the bait, the more interesting the fish. In this case, the University of Miami caught the eye of the Florida Marlins with the third annual walk for multiple myeloma planned for Oct. 14.

Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority is hosting the walk for multiple myeloma, a cancer that renders cells in the immune system ineffective. The sorority expects students, community members and the Marlins to participate.

“I started off with sorority awareness events, and the walk just kind of happened,” said Denise Vidot, president of the Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, who launched the first myeloma walk in 2005. Last year, the walk raised $10,000. This year, Denise expects a “huge increase” in the amount of money raised and in the number of participants.

The Marlins, a sponsor of the event, will be showing their support by supplying a free lunch, giving away freebies and raffling off autographed equipment.

The walk serves many purposes in the community, said Suzanne Battaglia, the developmental assistant at the International Myeloma Foundation.

“One of the things we encourage, in addition to raising money for research, is public awareness,” Battaglia said. “People can go undiagnosed, and especially with cancer, the earlier the diagnosis, the better.”

The American Cancer Society predicts that 19,900 individuals will be diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2007, and an early diagnosis may prevent further complications.

By raising awareness throughout the community and gaining the support of groups like the Marlins, organizers and participants believe the walk is an effective way to raise both money toward research and awareness.

“It seems like it’s going to be really big,” said Carnell Brame, a junior who plans to participate. “I’m excited that a lot of people are participating. I think it’s going to be a big tradition.”

Registration is $20 to walk solo or $10 to walk as a team of five or more. Registered participants receive a T-shirt and are entered in raffles to win prizes.

For more information about the walk, e-mail Denise Vidot at peaches2822@aol.com. To learn more about multiple myeloma, visit the International Myeloma Foundation at www.myeloma.org.

Padma Sarvepalli may be contacted at p.sarvepalli@umiami.edu

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...