Miami stuck at double overtime

In its first ACC road game of the season on Thursday night in Blacksburg, Va., the University of Miami women’s soccer team blew an early lead against rival Virginia Tech to finish the match at a 1-1 tie after two overtimes.

Freshman forward Brittney Steinbruch, who recently earned NSCAA National Player of the Week, ACC Player of the Week, Soccer America Women’s Team of the Week and Soccer Buzz Elite Team of the Week, netted her 12th goal of the season in the 15th minute, assisted by fellow freshman midfielder Lauren Singer.

Steinbruch is already second in the Hurricanes’ record book for goals in a season, just four shy of the feat, while Singer moved up as the team’s second leading scorer with her fifth assist of the year.

Despite taking more shots on goal and exhibiting aggressive play, the ‘Canes could only muster a 1-0 lead at the half.

Miami was once again plagued by their season-long inability to finish on shots, which cost them the game against University of South Florida earlier in the season. The Hokies took advantage of the Hurricanes’ missed opportunities and replied with a goal in the 61st minute to tie the score.

It was Marika Gray’s sixth goal of the season, a team high, on a pass from teammate Julian Johnson.

The ‘Canes were affected by the 10-4 difference in corner kicks in favor of Tech, which rendered them unable to capitalize on scoring chances. Miami also had two off sides calls against them in the game.

Each team substituted players when the other did the same in order to keep fresh legs on the field for the extended match and back-and-forth play.

Despite three players receiving yellow cards and 34 fouls from both teams combined, each goalie played the duration of the game, with Lauren McAdam notching six saves for the ‘Canes and Ashley Owens stopping nine shots for the Hokies.

“We played really well,” Singer said. “Unfortunately we didn’t finish on the opportunities we created.”

Miami now stands at a record of 6-2-3 (2-0-1 ACC), coming off key victories against North Carolina and NC State, while Virginia Tech moved to 4-4-2 (0-2-1 ACC).

The ‘Canes will play host to Boston College Thursday night at Cobb Stadium.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...