Bring on the Wine (and Iron)

On his third full-length release, Iron and Wine discovered percussion. Sam Beam, the name behind the bearded singer/songwriter, has transitioned away from the soothing strumming and peaceful guitar picking of 2004’s Our Endless Numbered Days.

On The Shepherd’s Dog, Iron and Wine employs bongo drums, twangy guitars, slides and numerous effects pedals. While this may sound like blasphemy to many, take a fair listen. It actually works.

The Shepherd’s Dog isn’t a complete departure from Iron and Wine’s original style; “Resurrection Fern” is a reassuring and familiar tune with a noticeable bass line.

But “Wolves (Song of the Shepherd’s Dog)” is a perfect example of their newfound techniques. During the song’s three-minute jam, a wah-pedal sounds underneath guitars and percussion that crashes like melodic pots and pans. “Boy With a Coin” may be the best song on the album, since it rolls along with steady claps. “The Devil Never Sleeps” is a two-minute blues jam with tinkling keys, a walking bass and feedback guitars.

It may take a few listens to adjust to Iron and Wine’s new album, but The Shepherd’s Dog shows how a band can mature and expand its sound in a successful way.

Hilary Saunders may be contacted at h.saunders@umiami.edu.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...