We don’t Superman no mo’

As soon as the first few steel drum notes of Soulja Boy’s song “Crank Dat” were played at last Saturday’s football game, students were out of their seats and putting up the U, waiting for Sebastian to start doing his dance.

Students were surprised to hear a cleaner, Miami Hurricanes remix played instead of Soulja Boy’s chart-topping song, which reclaimed Billboard’s top spot last Thursday.

Immediately after the game, rumors spread among students that the song was banned after a parent complained about the song’s use of the word “ho.”

Mark Pray, assistant athletic director for communications, said he had not heard anything about a parent complaint, and that the university decided to change the lyrics for other reasons.

“We thought it would be nice to have a UM version so we went to 99 Jamz and they produced a UM version,” Pray said. “We haven’t ruled out playing the other version in the future.”

Still, some students, such as the 183 members of the “Bring Back the Soulja Boy at the Orange Bowl!” Facebook group, believe the song is harmless and inspired enthusiasm and school spirit at the games.

“It really got the crowd into the game,” said Alexander Hamilton, a freshman and member of the Facebook group.

Alexander Pearce may be contacted at a.pearce@umiami.edu.

Excerpted lyrics from original version of “Crank Dat”

Soulja Boy off in this ho
Watch me lean and watch me rock
Superman dat ho
Then watch me crank dat robocop
Super fresh, now watch me jock
Jocking on them haters man
When I do dat Soulja Boy
I lean to the left and crank dat thang
Soulja Boy off in this ho
Watch me crank it
Watch me roll
Watch me crank dat Soulja Boy
Then Superman dat ho
Now watch me yuuuah
(Crank dat Soulja Boy)

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...