We don’t Superman no mo’

As soon as the first few steel drum notes of Soulja Boy’s song “Crank Dat” were played at last Saturday’s football game, students were out of their seats and putting up the U, waiting for Sebastian to start doing his dance.

Students were surprised to hear a cleaner, Miami Hurricanes remix played instead of Soulja Boy’s chart-topping song, which reclaimed Billboard’s top spot last Thursday.

Immediately after the game, rumors spread among students that the song was banned after a parent complained about the song’s use of the word “ho.”

Mark Pray, assistant athletic director for communications, said he had not heard anything about a parent complaint, and that the university decided to change the lyrics for other reasons.

“We thought it would be nice to have a UM version so we went to 99 Jamz and they produced a UM version,” Pray said. “We haven’t ruled out playing the other version in the future.”

Still, some students, such as the 183 members of the “Bring Back the Soulja Boy at the Orange Bowl!” Facebook group, believe the song is harmless and inspired enthusiasm and school spirit at the games.

“It really got the crowd into the game,” said Alexander Hamilton, a freshman and member of the Facebook group.

Alexander Pearce may be contacted at

Excerpted lyrics from original version of “Crank Dat”

Soulja Boy off in this ho
Watch me lean and watch me rock
Superman dat ho
Then watch me crank dat robocop
Super fresh, now watch me jock
Jocking on them haters man
When I do dat Soulja Boy
I lean to the left and crank dat thang
Soulja Boy off in this ho
Watch me crank it
Watch me roll
Watch me crank dat Soulja Boy
Then Superman dat ho
Now watch me yuuuah
(Crank dat Soulja Boy)

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...