The Rock donates largest gift from a former athlete

University of Miami alumnus and actor Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and wife Dany Garcia Johnson donated $1 million on Oct. 2 to the Football Facilities Renovation Fund.

Johnson, former defensive lineman for the football team from 1991 to 1994, and Garcia Johnson, former member of the rowing team, donated the largest gift that the university has received from a former student.

Johnson described the contribution as “an unrestricted gift” for Coach Randy Shannon to use how he sees fit.

“We believe in President Shalala, in everything she has done and will continue to do for the University of Miami, and in Coach Shannon,” Johnson said.

Coach Shannon called both Johnson and Garcia Johnson “two of the finest student athletes” to attend UM.

“Every time one of our players walks through the door into the locker room, they will be reminded of what UM has meant to Dwayne and Dany and reinforce their commitment to the Hurricane family,” Shannon said.

The money will fund updated technology and renovations in football facilities including the locker room, coaches’ offices, team meeting rooms and conference rooms. In return for the donation, the football locker room will be named the Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson Locker Room.

The Football Facilities Renovation Fund is part of the Sprint for Hurricane Athletics Campaign, an initiative to raise at least $70 million over the next three years for the UM athletic department.

Blair Brettschneider may be contacted at b.brettschneider@umiami.edu.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...