The Rock donates largest gift from a former athlete

University of Miami alumnus and actor Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and wife Dany Garcia Johnson donated $1 million on Oct. 2 to the Football Facilities Renovation Fund.

Johnson, former defensive lineman for the football team from 1991 to 1994, and Garcia Johnson, former member of the rowing team, donated the largest gift that the university has received from a former student.

Johnson described the contribution as “an unrestricted gift” for Coach Randy Shannon to use how he sees fit.

“We believe in President Shalala, in everything she has done and will continue to do for the University of Miami, and in Coach Shannon,” Johnson said.

Coach Shannon called both Johnson and Garcia Johnson “two of the finest student athletes” to attend UM.

“Every time one of our players walks through the door into the locker room, they will be reminded of what UM has meant to Dwayne and Dany and reinforce their commitment to the Hurricane family,” Shannon said.

The money will fund updated technology and renovations in football facilities including the locker room, coaches’ offices, team meeting rooms and conference rooms. In return for the donation, the football locker room will be named the Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson Locker Room.

The Football Facilities Renovation Fund is part of the Sprint for Hurricane Athletics Campaign, an initiative to raise at least $70 million over the next three years for the UM athletic department.

Blair Brettschneider may be contacted at b.brettschneider@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...