The Rock donates largest gift from a former athlete

University of Miami alumnus and actor Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and wife Dany Garcia Johnson donated $1 million on Oct. 2 to the Football Facilities Renovation Fund.

Johnson, former defensive lineman for the football team from 1991 to 1994, and Garcia Johnson, former member of the rowing team, donated the largest gift that the university has received from a former student.

Johnson described the contribution as “an unrestricted gift” for Coach Randy Shannon to use how he sees fit.

“We believe in President Shalala, in everything she has done and will continue to do for the University of Miami, and in Coach Shannon,” Johnson said.

Coach Shannon called both Johnson and Garcia Johnson “two of the finest student athletes” to attend UM.

“Every time one of our players walks through the door into the locker room, they will be reminded of what UM has meant to Dwayne and Dany and reinforce their commitment to the Hurricane family,” Shannon said.

The money will fund updated technology and renovations in football facilities including the locker room, coaches’ offices, team meeting rooms and conference rooms. In return for the donation, the football locker room will be named the Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson Locker Room.

The Football Facilities Renovation Fund is part of the Sprint for Hurricane Athletics Campaign, an initiative to raise at least $70 million over the next three years for the UM athletic department.

Blair Brettschneider may be contacted at b.brettschneider@umiami.edu.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...