VOLLEYBALL: Miami drops ACC home-opener vs. Wake Foreste

After two consecutive ACC road victories, the University of Miami women’s volleyball team returned home to a packed crowd at the Knight Sports Complex.

Wake Forest came in and sent the spectators to an early exit.
The Demon Deacons (6-7, 3-1 ACC) controlled the match from the very first point, sweeping Miami (8-5, 2-2 ACC) 3-0 to spoil the Hurricanes’ ACC home-opener.

“It was disappointing to have an off-night with the atmosphere we had in here tonight,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “It was a great environment, the crowd was loud and I just wished we would have shown them more out there.”

Wake Forest scored the first four points of the match and later jumped out to a 13-3 lead in game one. Miami cut the deficit to 20-14, but the Demon Deacons stayed poised and came away with a 30-18 victory.

The Hurricanes committed 10 unforced errors in game one, while the Demon Deacons had seven team blocks.

The two teams were in a tightly contested match early in game two, knotted up at 13-13.

The Demon Deacons then pulled away after taking a 19-17 lead, scoring three consecutive points.

The Hurricanes, who trailed by as many as seven points, cut the lead to four before the Demon Deacons ended the comeback with a 30-25 win.

Miami fought back in game three, but eventually dropped the final game 30-26.

Wake Forest had a 20-15 advantage, appearing to be on its way for an easy sweep.

The Hurricanes refused to go down quietly, going on a 5-0 run to even up the score.

The Demon Deacons came back with 5 consecutive points of their own, tying the game at 21-21 with three kills and two costly attack errors by the Hurricanes.

After Miami cut the lead to 28-25, Wake Forest would hang on with two kills to put away the Hurricanes for good.

“We had some nice runs and some nice stretches, but we just weren’t able to sustain it for an entire game,” Lantagne Welch said.

In the losing effort, sophomore Genny Mayhew and senior Ciara Michael combined to record 20 of the team’s 45 kills on the night, while Setter Katie Gallagher collected 31 assists.

Miami finished the match with just five team blocks to Wake Forest’s 12 blocks.

Miami committed 21 errors in the match, including nine service errors. Wake Forest had six less errors and five less service errors than the Hurricanes.

“Wake Forest came out tonight and competed,” Welch said. “We were back on our heels and were not sharp tonight. Everyone could have played a lot better.”

Alex Kushel may be contacted at a.kushel@umiami.edu

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...