Truly her Golden Age

Sequels tend to take place on a grander scale than their predecessors because already developed characters allow directors to cover more narrative ground. “Elizabeth the Golden Age,” which comes nine years after “Elizabeth,” exceeds the aspirations of its original. While the first film was not small scale, its story was limited to Elizabeth I’s rise to power amongst England’s conflicting Catholic and Protestant factions. In “The Golden Age,” Elizabeth (Cate Blanchett) faces Catholic Spain and its mighty Armada, decides what to do with her politically dangerous cousin Mary Queen of Scots, and tries to discover whether it is possible for a queen to find love.

Elizabeth’s personal life receives the most attention. Sailor Walter Raleigh (Clive Owen) steals her heart, but she must compete with his desire to leave her court and decide whether her stature as queen allows her a relationship with a man of common background. England’s pending conflict with Spain, who’s zealously Catholic King believes protestant England threatens Europe’s growing Christendom, primarily functions as a stage for this romance to unfold upon. Like he did in the first Elizabeth, director Shekhar Kapur explores the taxing effect that remaining autonomous from romantic interests has on Elizabeth.

Unfortunately, the film has to move too quickly to cover its expansive narrative ground, and the smaller, character driven scenes like those that dominated the first “Elizabeth” can get lost amongst the action. Despite the pacing, Blanchett breathes life into every scene with a performance that contains as much nuance as bravura. Kapur uses too many elaborate camera movements to emphasize dramatic moments, and he should have nixed Elizabeth’s “braveheart moment” when she tries to rally English troops on horseback. However, it’s easy to forgive these few slip-ups from such a commanding film.

Kevin Craft may be contacted at k.craft@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...