FLICK YOU, CSU

We know what you thought when you first read the headline. Sorry to disappoint you, but we don’t feel like losing $30,000 in advertising…just yet.

In case you haven’t heard or read, Colorado State University’s student newspaper The Rocky Mountain Collegian published a four-word editorial last Friday. Let’s just say that they didn’t use “flick.”

The editorial read: “TASE THIS, F— BUSH.” First, allow us to express our support for The Collegian’s right to publish this regardless of whether or not we agree with what it actually said. They should have First Amendment protection. That being said, the staff-particularly the editor in chief-should not be punished or fired because of the use of this one word.

Clearly, in light of the Tasing debacle involving University of Florida student Andrew Meyer, The Collegian was trying to make a point. Though this sparked a debate, the nature of the word they employed has adversely affected the discussion they had hoped to inspire. The “F-bomb”-profane to many but everyday diction to college students-communicated their call to free speech in a less-than-appropriate fashion. We chose “flick” for this editorial instead of its more controversial cousin “F—” for a number of reasons, such as the damage to the paper’s reputation as a professional publication. Moreover, since we receive funding from the university, our financial situation could be potentially compromised.

We cannot help but wonder why The Collegian would martyr their paper; why they would try to make an issue out of their freedom of press when it was not (yet) an issue. Though freedom of speech and freedom of press are intrinsically connected, hearing f— spoken and reading it in a large-size typeface are two different but equally protected things.

Firing the editor in chief of The Collegian would set a bad precedent at Colorado State University and at universities nation-wide.

If you don’t agree with us, flick off.

Or, write a letter to our editor.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...