SOCCER: ‘Canes defeat Hatters 2-1 despite rain delay

It wasn’t the traditional route to victory, but a two hour and 25 minute rain delay couldn’t keep the Miami Hurricanes soccer team down, as they held on to a 2-1 victory over the Stetson Hatters Friday night.

The delay, beginning at halftime, held the game up until after 10:20 p.m., when both teams took the field in front of a much smaller crowd. The slick field affected play, as shots went up, but no goals were scored in the second half.

“I’m pleased overall,” Miami Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “It was a difficult game to play with the rain and then the time delay. But I’m very proud that we were able to come out and keep our intensity up, and actually create more shots in the second half.”

Miami (4-2-2) got it going early, by beating the Stetson (2-3-1) defense in the sixth minute. Lauren Singer hit a sparkling header served up off a cross from Brittney Steinbruch, both freshmen. That earned Miami the lead and a hat for one lucky fan thanks to Miami’s new “Hat for a Header” promotion.

They extended their lead in the 19th minute, thanks to a 25-yard shot from Steinbruch, assisted by Rachael Rigamat and goalkeeper Lauren McAdam. Steinbruch now moves into a four-way tie for fourth place all time in single-season goals with nine in just her eighth game – she has 11 more to go for first place.

Miami controlled the ball for most of the first half, but the defense slipped in the 42nd minute, as Stetson’s Bethany Kiedis crossed and Jessica Spencer hammered it home, making it a one-goal game.

Then came the half and the rain. After the break Miami controlled the game, shooting seven more times than Stetson (10-3). Even though there was no scoring, the dominant performance reinforced the win for the ‘Canes.

Miami now heads into the tough Atlantic Coast Conference, beginning with a match Thursday night against North Carolina State at 7 p.m. in Cobb Stadium.

“I think it’s good momentum heading into ACC play,” Taliaferro said.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...