Marine science campus dives into current issues

The beach, the sun and the deep, blue sea sound like the perfect place for vacationing and partying, but for the students and faculty of the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS), it is also a place of academia.

Formally established in 1943 as the University of Miami Marine Laboratory, the founding research facility was located on a boathouse in Miami Beach. It would take several years and many transitional locations, including a converted apartment building in Coral Gables, before RSMAS acquired permanent residence on the Virginia Keys in Key Biscayne in 1953.

In 1961, the name was changed to the Institute of Marine Science. After Dorothy and Lewis Rosenstiel made a donation of $8.8 million in 1969, the institute was renamed the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and converted into a school.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...