Marine science campus dives into current issues

The beach, the sun and the deep, blue sea sound like the perfect place for vacationing and partying, but for the students and faculty of the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS), it is also a place of academia.

Formally established in 1943 as the University of Miami Marine Laboratory, the founding research facility was located on a boathouse in Miami Beach. It would take several years and many transitional locations, including a converted apartment building in Coral Gables, before RSMAS acquired permanent residence on the Virginia Keys in Key Biscayne in 1953.

In 1961, the name was changed to the Institute of Marine Science. After Dorothy and Lewis Rosenstiel made a donation of $8.8 million in 1969, the institute was renamed the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and converted into a school.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...