Quiet on the Western Front for new Bale, Crowe flick

The subtlety of character in the Western genre has been stampeded by horror and action films. Yet, while the contemporary Western landscape resembles the barren plains that its films often depict, Hollywood still occasionally tries to make audiences recall a time when John Ford and Sergio Leone drove the industry.

The latest attempt is “3:10 to Yuma,” a story about a no-luck rancher named Dan Evans (Christian Bale) who agrees to transport the notorious criminal Ben Wade (Russell Crowe) to a train so he can be brought to justice. Along the way, Evans must deal with shifting alliances and Wade’s nefarious mind games. Evans agrees to the mission so his farm may be spared and his family supported.

Evans’ honor is the heart of the movie. His journey is not so much about Wade and the miles traveled as it is about proving himself and his internal change. His honor is personified in his son, who has doubts about his father’s worth and seems to be easy prey for Wade’s deceptive charm.

The film has a wonderfully subdued style for a Western. The theme of what it means to be a man quietly runs throughout, something that proves infinitely better than the alternative route of noisy bravado.

The characters, however, prove to be the strongest aspect. The whole principle cast goes through significant change, and it gives the audience a set of three-dimensional people to watch. Bale and Crowe are mesmerizing in their shape-shifting personalities, and their difficult circumstances test their fortitude and moral character.

The restrained tone does dissolve into an improbable action sequence near the end, but the last moments regain the film’s true spirit. And while it never comes close to the brilliance of 2005’s “The Proposition,” “3:10 to Yuma” is a great film and a great Western.

Gabe Habash may be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...