Hurricanes shutout Binghamton

The Miami women’s soccer team (3-2-1) won their first home game of the season on Sunday afternoon with a 4-0 victory over Binghamton University. With the win, Miami snaps a two-game losing streak.

After a disappointing 3-2 loss to USF at Cobb Stadium on Friday, the Hurricanes entered today’s game determined not to lose another home game.

“The mentality was to win the game no matter what we had to do. We felt we were unlucky on Friday night. We dominated a team and didn’t get a win we deserved,” Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “So I think our response to come back, get a shutout and score those goals [was good].”

For 90 minutes, Miami flexed its muscle against a team that has yet to win a game this season, overwhelming them in every aspect of the game.

On defense, the Hurricanes were simply too much for the Binghamton Bearcats, limiting them to just two shots on goal. Anytime Binghamton’s strikers touched the ball, Miami defenders swarmed, pressured, and frustrated them away from the goal.

Miami was just as relentless on offense, scoring two goals in each half, despite playing many of its reserves for most of the game.

In the 12th minute, freshman Lauren Singer put the Hurricanes on the scoreboard with a penalty kick. Five minutes later, freshman Brittney Steinbruch, Miami’s leading scorer, drilled a heavy shot from the right to the far post.

In the second half, sophomore Beverley Goebel scored in the 52nd minute on a pass from Rachael Rigamat. In the 71st minute, freshman Chelsea Pederson sailed a shot over the goalie just outside the penalty box.

On most runs, Miami moved the ball easily past Binghamton’s defenders. Every time they scored, it was because the Hurricanes effectively communicated to drive the ball in the net.

“I’m overall pleased. We created a lot of opportunities and were fortunate to put some away. If you create a lot of shots, you want to get at least half and that’s what we’ve been averaging this season,” Taliaferro said. “That builds our confidence. We’re very confident about scoring goals and that’s going to continue.”

Steinbruch says the team was quite satisfied with its performance on the heels of two consecutive losses.

“Everyone that stepped on the field really stepped it up. It was a whole team effort. We just wanted to win today and that was big.”

Victor R. Rodriguez may be contacted at v.rodriguez18@umiami.edu.