Miami vs. FIU: Matchup

OFFENSE: Miami’s offense needs improved play from their quarterbacks and receivers. The Hurricanes’ rushing attack will bounce back from last week. FIU only scored 10 points in their first two games and had just 79 rushing yards and 13 first downs.
Advantage: MIAMI

O-LINE: Miami’s offensive line took a step back last week, after a strong outing against Marshall. The unit needs to give their quarterback time to make plays. FIU has allowed seven sacks and has been unable to open up the running lanes for its tailbacks.
Advantage: MIAMI

QUARTERBACKS: Kyle Wright deserves to start this week. Wright converted the only three third down conversions and tossed Miami’s only touchdown on Saturday. FIU’s Wayne Younger is another redshirt freshman to face Miami’s defense. He has yet to become comfortable in the pocket, throwing for 198 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions in two games.
Advantage: MIAMI

RUNNING BACKS: Miami was ineffective running the football against Oklahoma’s defense, finishing with a combined 54 yards on 28 carries. Javarris James and Graig Cooper should be able to pound the football against a poor rush defense. FIU’s Julian Reams and A’mod Ned have only combined for 65 yards this season.
Advantage: MIAMI

RECEIVERS: Miami’s Lance Leggett had zero catches last week and needs to redeem himself against FIU. Sam Shields only had seven receiving yards and must become more of a go-to target. FIU’s wide receivers also have struggled this season. Moses Hinton leads the team in receiving with just one catch, a 49-yard touchdown reception against Maryland.
Advantage: MIAMI

DEFENSE: After allowing 51 points, expect Miami to have a spirited defensive effort and attempt to shutout FIU for a second straight season. FIU’s defense has six sacks and two fumble recoveries, but it has given up 85 points.
Advantage: MIAMI

D-LINE: Miami was unable to get any pass rush going against Oklahoma. Eric Moncur and Teraz McCray were non-factors last week, but look for them to compliment Calais Campbell and get to the quarterback. FIU’s defensive line is anchored by Audric Adger, who has 10 tackles and one sack on the season.
Advantage: MIAMI

LINEBACKERS: Middle linebacker Tavares Gooden had 14 tackles last week, while Colin McCarthy continues to have a nose for the ball, recording 10 tackles. FIU’s Michael Dominguez has stood out so far this season, leading the team with 17 tackles, two fumble recoveries and one sack.
Advantage: MIAMI

SECONDARY: Miami’s secondary needs to create turnovers and not allow big plays this week. Cornerback Randy Phillips and true freshman DeMarcus Van Dyke have a chip on their shoulder after Oklahoma’s wide receivers torched the tandem on Saturday. FIU cornerback Lionell Singleton has been productive, recording 13 tackles and two breakups.
Advantage: MIAMI

SPECIAL TEAMS: Francesco Zampogna connected on a 45-yard field goal on Saturday. Miami needs more consistency returning kickoffs in order to create better field position for the offense. FIU kicker Chris Abed hit a 42-yard field goal last week, while punter Chris Cook has averaged 40.8 yards per punt over the first two games.
Advantage: EVEN

GAME INFO: Saturday’s game against FIU will air at 3:30pm on ESPNU live from the Orange Bowl.

Alex Kushel may be contacted at a.kushel@umiami.edu.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...