The Pumpkins return with the solid ‘Zeitgeist’

Following a seven year hiatus the Smashing Pumpkins return with their much anticipated comeback album, “Zeitgeist.” After such a long time, anticipation is obviously high for both the die-hard fans and a whole new generation. So, they get right back on track with thundering opener “Doomsday Clock,” evoking true Smashing Pumpkins melancholy in the lyrics and delivery of Billy Corgan: “These lonely days/when will they ever stop?” Corgan’s prevailing voice also layers defiance in this song – yes, listening to Smashing Pumpkins will get us through these troubled times!

However this opening is left tainted with songs such as “7 Shades of Black” and “Bleeding the Orchid,” constructed with similar vocal patterns, removing the uniqueness that the Pumpkins usually produce. Disappointingly, the band blends into the drone of rock singers they comically try to mock in their debut single “Tarantula,” despite proclaiming “we are the real.” Although the band seems to aiming for a more mainstream audience, technically the Pumpkins do not disappoint. The songs are layered skilfully with commanding guitar, roaring bass and even synth, a new experience for the band. This is all explored to the extreme in the epic “United States,” and despite the slightly egotistical extended guitar solo in the middle you can appreciate the brilliance of the Pumpkins. Furthermore, the reformed line-up is successful in producing a well rounded album, with gems such as “Neverlost” and “For God and Country” reminiscent of their innovative album “Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.” “Zeitgeist” shows the band does adapt to the music and the issues faced today, sincerely fulfilling its title. But in all honesty, Pumpkins are technically astounding and cannot be generalized just as the spirit of today. They still produce good records whatever age and reflect the spirit of a lifetime.

Gemma Dempster may be contacted at g.dempster@miami.edu

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...