Sports Briefs

SOCCER

1-1-0 finish at Samford Classic

The women’s soccer team split its matches at the 2007 Long’s Electronics Samford Classic, with a 2-1 victory over the Samford Bulldogs and a 4-1 loss to LSU.
The Hurricanes jumped onto the scoreboard early against Samford, as freshman Brittney Steinbruch scored her team-high fifth goal of the season, continuing her goal-scoring streak to three straight games. The goal was the first that the Bulldogs (2-1-0) have allowed all season.

The ‘Canes then extended their lead to 2-0 when sophomore Beverly Goebel assisted junior Sammy Sanderson in the 32nd minute. Samford responded in the 59th minute to bring the score to 2-1, but they were unable to muster anything else against the Hurricane defense.

Against LSU, the Hurricanes did not fair as well, and were handed their first loss of the season. The lone Hurricane goal of the game was scored by freshman Lauren Singer, who netted her fourth goal of the season.
The Hurricanes move to 2-1-1 on the season.

GENERAL SPORTS

Waking up with some ‘Canes

Fusion Innovative Market has announced the release of “The Spirit of the U” University of cereal box. The cereal boxes, which are a limited edition item, will be sold exclusively at Publix Supermarkets. Additionally, the boxes will be sold only in select regions of Florida.

Along with University of Miami cereal boxes, the company has also announced the release of University of Florida and Florida State University cereal boxes.

“Publix Supermarkets has been a great partner over the last few years and has seen the value in supporting these great programs,” Fusion President Jay Freedman said. “We are very excited to launch the UM and FSU programs so that fans can now wake up to their favorite school. All three schools have dynamic marketing teams, who saw the value in bringing these concepts to their fans.”

CROSS COUNTRY

Hurricanes start season

Action at the 2007 Mountain Dew Invitational in Gainesville, Fla. concluded with the men’s cross country team finishing in fourth place, while the Lady Hurricanes finished eighth.

On the men’s side, the Hurricanes were led by junior Ryan Woodlee, who finished 20th in the 8,000-meters. Additionally, senior Alex Paley finished 28th, junior Eric Miller finished 35th and junior Andrew Chuplis finished 37th.

On the women’s side, senior Delia Phlatts led the way, finishing in 29th place Freshman Caitlin Knapp finished in 35th place, aiding the Lady Hurricanes in her first competition as a ‘Cane.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...