Sports Briefs

SOCCER

1-1-0 finish at Samford Classic

The women’s soccer team split its matches at the 2007 Long’s Electronics Samford Classic, with a 2-1 victory over the Samford Bulldogs and a 4-1 loss to LSU.
The Hurricanes jumped onto the scoreboard early against Samford, as freshman Brittney Steinbruch scored her team-high fifth goal of the season, continuing her goal-scoring streak to three straight games. The goal was the first that the Bulldogs (2-1-0) have allowed all season.

The ‘Canes then extended their lead to 2-0 when sophomore Beverly Goebel assisted junior Sammy Sanderson in the 32nd minute. Samford responded in the 59th minute to bring the score to 2-1, but they were unable to muster anything else against the Hurricane defense.

Against LSU, the Hurricanes did not fair as well, and were handed their first loss of the season. The lone Hurricane goal of the game was scored by freshman Lauren Singer, who netted her fourth goal of the season.
The Hurricanes move to 2-1-1 on the season.

GENERAL SPORTS

Waking up with some ‘Canes

Fusion Innovative Market has announced the release of “The Spirit of the U” University of cereal box. The cereal boxes, which are a limited edition item, will be sold exclusively at Publix Supermarkets. Additionally, the boxes will be sold only in select regions of Florida.

Along with University of Miami cereal boxes, the company has also announced the release of University of Florida and Florida State University cereal boxes.

“Publix Supermarkets has been a great partner over the last few years and has seen the value in supporting these great programs,” Fusion President Jay Freedman said. “We are very excited to launch the UM and FSU programs so that fans can now wake up to their favorite school. All three schools have dynamic marketing teams, who saw the value in bringing these concepts to their fans.”

CROSS COUNTRY

Hurricanes start season

Action at the 2007 Mountain Dew Invitational in Gainesville, Fla. concluded with the men’s cross country team finishing in fourth place, while the Lady Hurricanes finished eighth.

On the men’s side, the Hurricanes were led by junior Ryan Woodlee, who finished 20th in the 8,000-meters. Additionally, senior Alex Paley finished 28th, junior Eric Miller finished 35th and junior Andrew Chuplis finished 37th.

On the women’s side, senior Delia Phlatts led the way, finishing in 29th place Freshman Caitlin Knapp finished in 35th place, aiding the Lady Hurricanes in her first competition as a ‘Cane.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...