News Briefs

University of Miami ranked among the best for Hispanic students

Hispanic Business Magazine will publish a report this month ranking three University of Miami graduate schools in the top 10 list of U.S. schools for Hispanic students. This special annual edition on diversity ranks the 10 “Schools that Rule” in its article about the best graduate programs in law, engineering, medicine and business.

The School of Business Administration came in at number four, up from its position as number seven last year. Likewise, the Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine increased its position, coming in at number three this year compared to last year’s position at fifth place. The School of Law retained its number two ranking, second only to the University of New Mexico School of Law.

The schools were ranked using various criteria including questionnaires, the number of Hispanic students and faculty, retention rates and student services.

Architecture students participating in Miami waterfront project

Every design studio and more than 300 architecture students will have coursework this fall directed toward designing a five-mile walkway or promenade that will stretch along the City of Miami’s public waterfront, city officials announced on Aug. 29.

“This is an exciting venture which will help our students understand the complexities of adding public space to existing urbanism,” said Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, dean of the School of Architecture, in a press release. “Not since Hurricane Andrew in 1992 has the School as a whole tackled a single issue like the Waterfront study. Our hope is to show our students the many ways the natural and built elements of a waterfront can improve the livability and beauty of a city.”

The project will take place in four phases. The first two involve the study of historical precedents, site reconnaissance, documentation and analysis. The third and fourth phases will involve the urban design of the promenade and detail design of other nearby sites.

The students’ work will be exhibited in the Architecture Center’s Gallery and a review of all students’ work will take place during the middle of the semester.
To help students with their designs, the school has invited several guest speakers experienced in waterfront projects to present their expertise.

The study culminates at the end of the semester. An exhibition is being planned for the spring semester, and will feature every studio’s large-scale waterfront drawings.

Etc.

Please visit www.TheMiamiHurricane.com to see footage of the debate and watch parties. Video of student reactions will be posted in the next few days.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Sophomore Evan McKendry rebounded with a dazzling start, and No. 24 Miami handed No. 1 Florida its f ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...