News Briefs

University of Miami ranked among the best for Hispanic students

Hispanic Business Magazine will publish a report this month ranking three University of Miami graduate schools in the top 10 list of U.S. schools for Hispanic students. This special annual edition on diversity ranks the 10 “Schools that Rule” in its article about the best graduate programs in law, engineering, medicine and business.

The School of Business Administration came in at number four, up from its position as number seven last year. Likewise, the Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine increased its position, coming in at number three this year compared to last year’s position at fifth place. The School of Law retained its number two ranking, second only to the University of New Mexico School of Law.

The schools were ranked using various criteria including questionnaires, the number of Hispanic students and faculty, retention rates and student services.

Architecture students participating in Miami waterfront project

Every design studio and more than 300 architecture students will have coursework this fall directed toward designing a five-mile walkway or promenade that will stretch along the City of Miami’s public waterfront, city officials announced on Aug. 29.

“This is an exciting venture which will help our students understand the complexities of adding public space to existing urbanism,” said Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, dean of the School of Architecture, in a press release. “Not since Hurricane Andrew in 1992 has the School as a whole tackled a single issue like the Waterfront study. Our hope is to show our students the many ways the natural and built elements of a waterfront can improve the livability and beauty of a city.”

The project will take place in four phases. The first two involve the study of historical precedents, site reconnaissance, documentation and analysis. The third and fourth phases will involve the urban design of the promenade and detail design of other nearby sites.

The students’ work will be exhibited in the Architecture Center’s Gallery and a review of all students’ work will take place during the middle of the semester.
To help students with their designs, the school has invited several guest speakers experienced in waterfront projects to present their expertise.

The study culminates at the end of the semester. An exhibition is being planned for the spring semester, and will feature every studio’s large-scale waterfront drawings.

Etc.

Please visit www.TheMiamiHurricane.com to see footage of the debate and watch parties. Video of student reactions will be posted in the next few days.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...