Miami volleyball gets in rhythm, claims three sweeps at Hurricane Invitational

The University of Miami women’s volleyball team couldn’t have asked for more at the Hurricane Invitational, held in Coral Gables, Fla. this weekend, as they swept every opponent.

The ‘Canes (6-3) now boast 12 straight wins, including four sweeps.

“It was an outstanding team effort,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “We got keys plays from everybody and when we needed a spark, people came off the bench and [they]came to play.”

The Hurricanes’ first victim in the blowout was Loyola. Miami jumped out quick on Loyola and defeated them 30-23 in game one. Junior Bridget Bomhack delivered seven kills and sophomore Genny Mayhew contributed with seven digs.

In game two Miami started out flat, allowing Loyola to take an early lead, but the Hurricanes fought back to finish 30-25. Sophomore Cassie Loessberg led the comeback with her defensive skills, adding nine digs.

The teams battled back and forth in game three until Mayhew and Bomhack stepped up their offense. The duo accounted for nine of team’s 15 kills to surge the ‘Canes to another victory, 30-28.

Bomhack recorded a double with 14 kills and 14 digs.

This match was particularly important for Bomhack, whose sister is the head coach at Loyola.

“It was really fun to play against her. We are really competitive in our family,” said Bomhack. “We will never get to do this again but I’m really glad we beat them in three games. [Our team] played in a really good rhythm all night.”

The following day, the ‘Canes competed against Brown, displaying a relentless defense that allowed Miami to easily defeat Brown in game one, 30-15.

The momentum carried over to the game two, as the ‘Canes sailed to a 30-23 win after senior Ciara Michel capped the game with a defining kill.

The Hurricanes were dominant in game three winning, 30-23 and clenching their second sweep of the series.

Junior Ashley Woods was the only player who had double digit kills with 11. Gallagher added 35 assist and five serving aces. Michel showed great efficiency with eight kills and six total blocks.

The Hurricanes recorded 14 serving aces against Brown, setting a new school record.
That evening the ‘Canes took on the undefeated Delaware Blue Hens. Both teams brought high intensity into the game, but the Hurricanes crushed Delaware 30-28, 30-26 and 30-22 to claim their third sweep of the series.

Bomhack led the team with 14 kills and Mayhew finished with a double double of 13 kills and 10 digs. Lantagne Welch was pleased with the team work throughout the Invitational.

“Three sweeps is tough to do this day in age in volleyball. I’m really proud of how steady our team played, and how composed [we were],” said Lantagne Welch. “There were some tough tight spots. We stayed together and pulled out victories.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...