It’s the ‘Kyle Wright Show’ again

POSTED SEPT. 11 AT 3:12 P.M.

Kyle Wright is once again Miami’s starting quarterback. After directing two Miami scoring drives in last week’s game against Oklahoma, when points were hard to come by, Wright was told on Tuesday morning that the ship was his to steer once more.

“I put in a lot of work,” Wright said. “The only way I could move forward was to keep working hard and be ready when my number got called.”

After two less than inspiring performances from Kirby Freeman, Head Coach Randy Shannon demoted the fiery Texan, whose gunslinger mentality differs from that of Wright, an ever the laid back Californian. While Freeman was always better for the big play, as evidenced by both his touchdown and interception numbers, it seems as though what this team really needs is a facilitator to get the ball to the playmakers. That is what Shannon hopes Wright will provide.

“It is the Kyle Wright show for now,” Shannon said. “We got to get the ball to the guys that make plays. They’re playing very well, but we are not getting them the ball.”

In separate interviews, offensive teammates Jason Fox, Graig Cooper and Sam Shields all expressed confidence in Wright.

Quarterback was not the only position shaken up on the depth chart. Randy Phillips, who got beat for three touchdowns against the Sooners, was moved to safety, where he will back up new starter Willie Cooper. Lovon Ponder will miss the next “couple of weeks” according to Shannon, who did not elaborate.

Carlos Armour will step into Phillips’ starting position, and Bruce Johnson will take his spot in the cornerback rotation. Place kicker Francesco Zampogna will take over for Darren Daly on kickoffs, as Shannon said that this was one area that had him very concerned.

Shannon’s actions back up a very un-Coker like mentality summed up best when Shannon said “at no point is your job secure on this team.”

Daryl Sharpton, Antonio Dixon and Glenn Sharpe are questionable for Saturday’s game due to injury.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...