It’s the ‘Kyle Wright Show’ again

POSTED SEPT. 11 AT 3:12 P.M.

Kyle Wright is once again Miami’s starting quarterback. After directing two Miami scoring drives in last week’s game against Oklahoma, when points were hard to come by, Wright was told on Tuesday morning that the ship was his to steer once more.

“I put in a lot of work,” Wright said. “The only way I could move forward was to keep working hard and be ready when my number got called.”

After two less than inspiring performances from Kirby Freeman, Head Coach Randy Shannon demoted the fiery Texan, whose gunslinger mentality differs from that of Wright, an ever the laid back Californian. While Freeman was always better for the big play, as evidenced by both his touchdown and interception numbers, it seems as though what this team really needs is a facilitator to get the ball to the playmakers. That is what Shannon hopes Wright will provide.

“It is the Kyle Wright show for now,” Shannon said. “We got to get the ball to the guys that make plays. They’re playing very well, but we are not getting them the ball.”

In separate interviews, offensive teammates Jason Fox, Graig Cooper and Sam Shields all expressed confidence in Wright.

Quarterback was not the only position shaken up on the depth chart. Randy Phillips, who got beat for three touchdowns against the Sooners, was moved to safety, where he will back up new starter Willie Cooper. Lovon Ponder will miss the next “couple of weeks” according to Shannon, who did not elaborate.

Carlos Armour will step into Phillips’ starting position, and Bruce Johnson will take his spot in the cornerback rotation. Place kicker Francesco Zampogna will take over for Darren Daly on kickoffs, as Shannon said that this was one area that had him very concerned.

Shannon’s actions back up a very un-Coker like mentality summed up best when Shannon said “at no point is your job secure on this team.”

Daryl Sharpton, Antonio Dixon and Glenn Sharpe are questionable for Saturday’s game due to injury.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...