It’s the ‘Kyle Wright Show’ again

POSTED SEPT. 11 AT 3:12 P.M.

Kyle Wright is once again Miami’s starting quarterback. After directing two Miami scoring drives in last week’s game against Oklahoma, when points were hard to come by, Wright was told on Tuesday morning that the ship was his to steer once more.

“I put in a lot of work,” Wright said. “The only way I could move forward was to keep working hard and be ready when my number got called.”

After two less than inspiring performances from Kirby Freeman, Head Coach Randy Shannon demoted the fiery Texan, whose gunslinger mentality differs from that of Wright, an ever the laid back Californian. While Freeman was always better for the big play, as evidenced by both his touchdown and interception numbers, it seems as though what this team really needs is a facilitator to get the ball to the playmakers. That is what Shannon hopes Wright will provide.

“It is the Kyle Wright show for now,” Shannon said. “We got to get the ball to the guys that make plays. They’re playing very well, but we are not getting them the ball.”

In separate interviews, offensive teammates Jason Fox, Graig Cooper and Sam Shields all expressed confidence in Wright.

Quarterback was not the only position shaken up on the depth chart. Randy Phillips, who got beat for three touchdowns against the Sooners, was moved to safety, where he will back up new starter Willie Cooper. Lovon Ponder will miss the next “couple of weeks” according to Shannon, who did not elaborate.

Carlos Armour will step into Phillips’ starting position, and Bruce Johnson will take his spot in the cornerback rotation. Place kicker Francesco Zampogna will take over for Darren Daly on kickoffs, as Shannon said that this was one area that had him very concerned.

Shannon’s actions back up a very un-Coker like mentality summed up best when Shannon said “at no point is your job secure on this team.”

Daryl Sharpton, Antonio Dixon and Glenn Sharpe are questionable for Saturday’s game due to injury.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...